Issue with how the game loads physics - not really a 'bug' but I still need help.

(Because this isn't a glitch, rather a way the game handles physics in general, I won't include my output logs as they won't show anything abnormal)

I've been building a base on Minmus to serve as a launchsite, I have the Outer Planets mod and launching huge behemoths to get to them and subsequently polluting Kerbin with copious amount of rocket exhaust seems bad even if it doesn't affect the game at all - if I launch straight from Minmus then I don't have to worry about that and also I can use less dV getting into a parking orbit around Kerbin which means simpler rockets which is nice.

But every time I've tried to set up a base, there's a glitch where the entire thing sort of mushes into the ground a few inches upon loading, and then the physics kick in and throws it up into the air. This can become disastrous when you're dealing with a large base, and my base is pretty big as it has lots of different modules, including a freakin' launchpad. Basically because it's so big, it gets kicked up even further, and the lighter parts get thrown further upwards than the heavier parts and the tubes connecting the entire thing snap and some things come back down so hard they explode, or they get thrown sideways and land upside-down or whatever.

I haven't been able to build a single base that doesn't suffer from this problem and I've been trying since 0.90. I know what causes it - as I attach more modules, the centre of mass changes and the tubes start to flex ever so slightly to compensate for it. However before physics are loaded, the tubes aren't bent or flexing, everything is connected perfectly, which then makes some parts sink into the ground. Then the physics kicks in and things actually collide with the ground and gets spat out of the planet's surface violently. Minmus' low gravity makes the whole thing even worse, too.

I've tried sticking landing legs on each module, I've tried it with the legs' suspension on and off, I've tried connecting the modules with stock girders and docking ports, nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any tips to get around the way the game screws with ground bases? Are there mods that address this? Please help D: I just wanna make cool ground bases.

Hey bud,

you seem a lot more knowledgeable on your problem than I am. However, I can't help but think you might benefit from this mod?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-1-0-2-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v3-1-3-4-27-15

Read that #1 post and see if anything in there sounds like it will help. If not, sorry to waste your time!

Good luck.

Hey bud,

you seem a lot more knowledgeable on your problem than I am. However, I can't help but think you might benefit from this mod?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-1-0-2-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v3-1-3-4-27-15

Read that #1 post and see if anything in there sounds like it will help. If not, sorry to waste your time!

Good luck.

I have KJR, it's a great mod but the way it handles part joints has nothing to do with the way the game loads heavily-docked crafts. :( I found that parts break a lot less with it but once they're flung into the air sideways then it's screwed anyways.

I have KJR, it's a great mod but the way it handles part joints has nothing to do with the way the game loads heavily-docked crafts. :( I found that parts break a lot less with it but once they're flung into the air sideways then it's screwed anyways.

I see. That's unfortunate; KJR would have been an easy fix. Have you any screenshots of this kraken-prone base?

I see. That's unfortunate; KJR would have been an easy fix. Have you any screenshots of this kraken-prone base?

My last quicksave was from before I attached that huge building to the base, I couldn't reattach it because my Kerbal's screwdriver disappeared from her inventory for some reason so I can't attach it with pipes. It's 10x worse with the building and is normally what tears it apart. The effect here is a lot less extreme but it's clearly visible.

39s5DSL.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.