KSP support for Microsoft Hololens

Microsoft-HoloLens-PivotPoint-RGB.png

hqdefault.jpg

Imagine developing a mission to Duna, let's say a rover, and before launch, bringing your rocket out of your computer and into the real world. You can see your rocket right in front of you and check for any mistakes you may have made but missed on your computer. You find something you don't like and decide to change it. Instead of having to go back to your computer, you can change it right there with Hololens. Hololens allows for manipulating your rocket in 3D. (Microsoft has demonstrated multiple times the benefits for engineers and designers) Then your ready for launch. But before liftoff, you want to check to make sure the planets are properly aligned. You could pull up the entire Kerbol System, in 3D, live, right in your living room. You find out that the planets are perfectly aligned. You liftoff, get into orbit and make the transfer maneuver. Fast forward to your Duna Rover on the surface. NASA actually has used the development version of Hololens to get a Panoramic 3D view of Mars here on earth, so you can Imagine you would be able to do the same thing only for Duna or any other body, right in your living room.

Anyways, I think this will radically change how people play KSP when Hololens is released and I hope Squad takes full advantage of this technology. I want to know what everyone thinks of this so please leave your opinion!

Hololens can't project black which to me is very important to playing KSP.

Are you quite sure? Look at that bike holo-lens-gram above. That looks like they're projecting black. ..But, then again, the first look at holo-lens didn't tell us the field of view would be shrunk down to a narrow narrow un-immersive postage-stamp, so they may not have been entirely truthful about that either. {intentional_snark}

The second sneak-peek at holo-lens was, by all accounts, disappointing. If I were Squad I'd want to wait and see what actually comes out -- not least because microsoft have quite a history of over-promising and under-delivering.

Don't get me wrong. I love the holo-lens idea. I've just been in the technology field long enough to have seen many many badly-implemented releases of initially-awesome ideas.

Just to add a different perspective, you will not like this at all (but its interesting reading):

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/24/i-bet-my-life-microsoft-hololens-perfectly-targets-its-core-competency

In other words, Occulus Rift and Google Glass (and perhaps even Apple, due to its interesting purchases) are further along this road than is M$, at least according to the article's author. I hope M$ proves the article wrong, but I'd not count on it.

Personally I think its a mod thing. Might as well have a mod that does that. I dont think squad would want to waste time,money,and effort coding this that not alot of people use. When they could use occulus rift or google cardboard(Its a thing) to expand the hardware compatibities. It has been shown to work with models of rovers or planets. But it can take a long time,hours at worse.

Are you quite sure? Look at that bike holo-lens-gram above. That looks like they're projecting black. ..But, then again, the first look at holo-lens didn't tell us the field of view would be shrunk down to a narrow narrow un-immersive postage-stamp, so they may not have been entirely truthful about that either. {intentional_snark}

The second sneak-peek at holo-lens was, by all accounts, disappointing. If I were Squad I'd want to wait and see what actually comes out -- not least because microsoft have quite a history of over-promising and under-delivering.

Don't get me wrong. I love the holo-lens idea. I've just been in the technology field long enough to have seen many many badly-implemented releases of initially-awesome ideas.

Yep Ideas are easy and cheap, it's the implementation that's hard and valuable.

To me everything in the videos shows they know how it needs to work but the reports from the hands on demos so far have shown the Tech just isn't there to deliver.

I don't think that's really detrimental. AR is not VR, it serves a different purpose. AR really shines as an 'utility', for lack of a better word, for example, to show you in a 3d graph floating above your printer how much ink it has left, to use your table and physical blocks to represent editors of whatever kind. That kind of stuff. It will have use in games, of course, but NOT immersion. That's VR's purpose.

Let's see what the HoloLens does when it hits the market, as that's gonna be the true test.

But from everything I've seen, at least the hologram rendering engine seems legit, and given how small computers have gotten recently (like with the HP mini), it's entirely possible for it to be exactly what Microsoft says it is.

And of course an Apple fan site is gonna do it's best to crap all over the HoloLens - expecting anything different from an Apple fanboy is insanity.

I just don't see Augmented reality ever becoming much more than just a gimmick and i'm sure it won't take off in the Gaming scene much less in professional applications, like those promotional images suggest.

Don't be so hasty Canopus... ever is such a loooong time. All it would take is for a company more competent than Microsoft to add real synergy with other existing systems for AR to become an new common interface.

Plus, Augmented Reality result from a particular use of (now common) sensors, if my memory is right the ability for a Virtual-Reality environment to move along 3D position from the real world make VR drift all the way to AR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality%E2%80%93virtuality_continuum

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.