Get rid of Jeb! (cheapest/smallest/lightest craft to escape velocity)

No, simply lower is better. And actually there's no need to divide by the best result, since then we're dividing all by the same factor. Leaderboard updated, including the following entry:

The Mini-bus! Not so cheap, quite some parts, but the lowest mass by a margin. I probably can't win my own challenge, but I'll give it a try in the rank I'm best at.

Minibus1.png

Pad mass is 4,0905t, 13 parts and it costs 11826. The first stage tank is partially empty to save some weight.

Minibus2.png

After Jeb climbing in the Rapier is started and released when it reaches 40 kN.

Minibus3.png

Mini-bus goes diagonal, and just after mach 1 the engine is throttled back by half.

Minibus4.png

Throttling back up at 11 km, flame-out speed is a very respectable 1620 m/s due to its high TWR.

Minibus5.png

A parking orbit is entered. Not a very precise one, because the centre of mass is not exactly in the middle, and there are no reaction wheels.

Minibus6.png

I aimed for the moon, but because of the lack of precision I missed. But there was enough delta-v to send Jebediah on a long trip.

So 4,0905 tons, 13 parts, 11826 funds.

Edited by rocx

@ LordCorwin, ALWAYS remove the monoprop from the cockpit, its not much but still.

Also the lander can is lighter than mk1 but its more expensive and has a really bad aero shape.

Thx NikkyD for the hint, I didn't think about it.

I tried to use the standard cockpit, but it's 180kg heavier and I need another tank (I need extra 30m/s of delta-v).

Even counting drag I got better results with the lander.

May be removing the monoprob will be enough though! :-)

thx again

Lord

Edit: hell, yes, it was enough. I'll create a new Rid version an post some photos. :-)

Edited by LordCorwin

I just want a clarification on the rules...

Specifically the no eva jet pack and no using a separate vehicle to launch from.

If I were to put a seat on top of my rocket would I be within the rules to get it to orbit (or at least space) then eva out to the seat and stage to get to that final bit? Or would that be bending/breaking the rules?

@annallia, i already did that and it is allowed. If you use "Take Command" mod and start with ONLY a seat you get into the modded scoreboard.

@LordCorwin: Some more hints. Because of how we fly in this competition it is often best to use the "intake air cooler" thing with 40 fuel and 0.6 air. Its enough air and fuel. It is not aerodynamic if you connect it to small engines but aero does not matter that much because the jet engines do have WAY MORE power than needed in this. Same goes for the mk1/lander can issue. Lander Can is more expensive but lighter, if you want to go for light weight challenge, lander can is better. If you go for cheap, then mk1 is usually better.

OpenWorldAddict and LordCorwin, very nice entries, you have been added to the rankings! LordCorwin, I'm surprised you almost beat my weight record with a full capsule to escape velocity. I feel that Rid_14 or Rid_15 will take the overall title, unless NikkyD is working on something better too. By the way, NikkyD, there's nothing stopping you from taking another person's design and improving it, as long as your changes are significant for the end result, you will be ranked.

OpenWorldAddict and LordCorwin, very nice entries, you have been added to the rankings! LordCorwin, I'm surprised you almost beat my weight record with a full capsule to escape velocity. I feel that Rid_14 or Rid_15 will take the overall title, unless NikkyD is working on something better too. By the way, NikkyD, there's nothing stopping you from taking another person's design and improving it, as long as your changes are significant for the end result, you will be ranked.

Thanks. This challenge was kind of easy for me because I kind of experiment with these kinds of rockets all the time. When I saw the challenge, I knew it was right up my alley. Several of the assumptions I made is that since I was sending it on an escape velocity, then it didn't need parachutes, heat shields, and the like; and the capsule didn't need to be seprated from the final stage of the rocket. Those assumptions really helped me cut back on the number of parts I used.

Edited by OpenWorldAddict

@ OpenWorldAddict I just watched ur vid. It may sound silly but the cheapest (deltaV) course for leaving the SoI is to establish orbit first (really low) then go for mun slingshot. There are tons of challenges for achieving orbit so just take ur "best" value there and then its about 750 to 800 dV for the mun slingshot and thats it. With certain rockets it all can be done with less than 4000 dV, but somewhere 4500 is a safe bet.

Hello,

Here you have my new Rid_15 rocket. Mass = 4329, Cost = 5330, Parts = 7.

The first picture shows that I reduce the ammount of Oxidizer in one of the tanks.

It was so tight that the Moon perigee was at 6400m and I finished with empty tanks.

Rid15_001.png

Rid15_002.png

Rid15_003.png

Rid15_004.png

Rid15_005.png

Rid15_006.png

Rid15_007.png

My next model will have to be different, as I believe this model is exhausted. May be a chair...

Slightly lower price, one part less, slightly heavier, but altogether a significant improvement on the combined ranking. LordCorwin, your hard work and tight margins have showed result, congratulations.

Anyone want to try a solid rocket booster approach again?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.