Spotting Messier objects

Camacha

If you are interested in getting further into astronomy, join a local astronomy group. I joined one and I am very glad I did. I am sure the members would love to give you tips, and maybe let you try some of their equipment.

Also, consider picking up a scope, you can get a good beginner scope for well under $200 if you look around. Try some astronomy forums, many have sections where members sell used scopes and accessories.

If you don't want to shell out the cash for a scope, try upgrading your binoculars. Your current ones are 10x25, correct? I started my "adventure" with some 10x50s from Wal-Mart for around $30. They served me well and still do. Binoculars are very often underrated in astronomy, as you can't really grab a scope and be ready to view as soon as you are out the door.

My last piece of advice comes from personal experience. When it comes to astronomy, you sometimes get too caught up in looking for dimmer and further objects, that you forget how awesome the view of Jupiter, or the Moon, or just a cool collection of stars is. No matter how hard you try, a galaxy will never really be more than a gray smudge through a scope. You need a camera to get those beautiful views you see in pictures.

Good luck and clear skies!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.