[1.0.x] Canadarm v0.96 - August 14

Jeast

Hmmm maybe in orbit assembly with KIS messes up because of the XYZ orientation of IR wich is not fixed anymore when you assemble it, if that makes any sense.

Did you ever assemble IR parts using KIS before?

Hmmm maybe in orbit assembly with KIS messes up because of the XYZ orientation of IR wich is not fixed anymore when you assemble it, if that makes any sense.

Did you ever assemble IR parts using KIS before?

Nope. It's just gone to the top of my to-do list...

That said, all the "stock" IR parts have movement around their centers, while your Canadarm is moving around one end. Perhaps IR is expecting the parts to rotate around the 0,0,0 point, instead of a node?

The Canadarm parts are also moving and rotating from the 0,0,0.

Let me know the results pls, if stock IR parts do work while assembled with KIS, I have a bit more of a clue where to start looking.

The Canadarm parts are also moving and rotating from the 0,0,0.

Let me know the results pls, if stock IR parts do work while assembled with KIS, I have a bit more of a clue where to start looking.

Will do. KSP is loading now.

EDIT: Stock IR parts mostly work as advertised when assembled using KIS. notable exceptions are the regular hinge not pivoting and instead driving the hydraulic piston in and out slightly, and said piston being able to extend beyond the reasonable limit of the length of its piston. But, no parts hinging about their midpoints that aren't supposed to do that.

Very odd indeed that it's isolated to your parts.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

The only difference I can find is that my parts are not surface attachable and the stock parts are. Maybe that is where it goes wrong. Isn't KIS surface attaching everything?

My main goal is to have a stable arm for the shuttle, a replica so no modular part pack. Making the parts attach by nodes only makes it very stable compared to other arms so I realy want to leave it that way. If there is another way to please the KIS in-orbit-arm-builders instead of making the parts surface attachable I would love to help out, let me know if you have any ideas.

You have to attach the Shoulder part to the upper left inside node in one of the cargobay's. Then the upperarm, lowerarm, wrist and end. Thats it.

I will upload a tutorial video soon. I'm preparing this pack to v1.00 release right now.

The only difference I can find is that my parts are not surface attachable and the stock parts are. Maybe that is where it goes wrong. Isn't KIS surface attaching everything?

My main goal is to have a stable arm for the shuttle, a replica so no modular part pack. Making the parts attach by nodes only makes it very stable compared to other arms so I realy want to leave it that way. If there is another way to please the KIS in-orbit-arm-builders instead of making the parts surface attachable I would love to help out, let me know if you have any ideas.

actually, KIS can operate through nodes, if you have a node in a part you can even attach your whole arm without editing, if you don't you either use a small structural part with a node or change the base so it is surface-attachable, the rest can continue being node-attachable

actually, KIS can operate through nodes, if you have a node in a part you can even attach your whole arm without editing, if you don't you either use a small structural part with a node or change the base so it is surface-attachable, the rest can continue being node-attachable

Okay thank you. I will see if I can find why it wont work then.

I made a 1.0 release topic. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132054-1-0-x-Canadarm-v1-00-August-20?p=2148425

I will add KIS functionality with a new surface attach shoulder part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.