Spinning Rover

So I made a (unmanned) rover with monojets to move quickly on the mun.....problem is that when I use the jets it is uncontrollable and just spins around in a circle. I originally had the jets where the stabilizers are but it spun just as much.

Ke1otih.jpg

W2S8Hqh.jpg

Edited by locustgate

You may be breaking the wheels. The other thing I wonder is if you've got thrusters on both sides. Are we talking about the 4-way thrusters or the OMS engines?

Everything is mirrored on the otherside. It does it no matter how I launch, from a clamp, a raised platform attached to the core unit, off the ground. It spins with or without the 4way, using the oms to get off ground..

I think what may be happening is failure to communicate... You want the probe to go forward but it thinks you want it to go sideways/rotate. Try rotating the Okto so that it faces toward the "front" of your probe. Then the N + H keys will move it forwards and backwards, like maneuvering in orbit. Alternatively you can use the I + K or J + L keys to move forward/backwards and turn RCS off when driving.

The way you have it set up, it won't drive like a rover, it will "float" like a lander. As you have it, Q + E will rotate about the vertical axis, A + D will pitch it left/right, and W + S will pitch it forwards/backward.

When you look at the Okto in the VAB, keep in mind that the panel that says "OKTO" corresponds with the door of a Kerbal podâ€â€that is, the "OKTO" side is "backwards," the opposite panel is "forwards," the top is "up," the bottom "down."

Hope this helps because otherwise I have no idea what could be going on.

Edit to say that RCS controls do not correspond with wheel controls. Usually when I build something like what you've got there, I do it with the Okto facing up, just like you have it. But I use the RCS linear controls and rotation only when needed, otherwise I shut RCS off and drive like a regular rover.

Edited by Pax Kerbana

those are crappy wheels, about useless for anything. they break easily upon landing and also when accelerated too much. you may want to test your design at the spaceplane hanger. If it starts turning then check your wheels. the small landing gear may be a better choice. they withstand impact much better.

Default key mappings have the drive controls for wheels and rotation (rcs) control mapped the wasd keys, so when you press 'w' you drive forwards but also pitch down.

I've found it very useful to map the drive controls to the arrow keys instead. Then I can pitch, roll accelerate and more...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.