Help with corrupted saved game file

Downloaded KSP about 2 months ago and have literally played every night since, i LOVE the game. I've built two space stations, a whole fleet of in orbit ships, and two mun bases. I was just about to launch a mission to duna that i've been working on for two weeks. Tonight i've come to load the game and it says 'Just Started' instead of 30 flights in progress. :mad:

I've taken a look at the persistent file and there are loads of lines of random characters that shouldn't be there. Does anyone know, what could cause this? can i fix this using the last quick save file?

You can view the save game file here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUUk9HVWJEYkFyZFE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Depending on your quicksave behaviour this might cause you to loose the last few hours of your game. But since you'll have to choose between loosing a few hours or loosing everything I'll assume that won't really matter.

1. Just to be safe back-up your entire saves folder.
  2. Delete the file persistent.sfs
  3. Copy and rename quicksave.sfs to persistent.sfs
  4. Start you game.

Luckily i was having trouble building a new module last night that kept tipping over on launch so i had actually been quick saving a lot. My last quicksave should only be a few minutes from when i stopped playing last night. I'll try this now and report back.

If anyone knows why this has happened in the first place though i'd really appreciate the knowing so i can avoid it happening again.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok it's fixed the save but it's gone back a weeks worth. I remember hitting quicksave number 40 last night, i've renamed quicksave42 which has to be from last night so i don't understand where all the work i've done over the past week has gone?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so all the random characters i thought was jibberish is actually present in the working quicksaves as well.

Seems i haven't looked at persistent file since i've installed a few mods.

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried using a text comparator and there are lots of differences between the persistent file and quicksave but nothing that looks game breaking to my untrained eye.

Here's the working quicksave if this helps anyone pin down the problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoURV90eE1CYkRVS2s/view?usp=sharing

I'm quite disappointed i haven't had any further help with this. Was it something i said?

Anyway after 3 days of messing around i noticed that activeVessel = 0 in my persistant file which seemed odd. I changed this to 39 to match the number of vessels i had at the time it corrupted, it's now working perfectly again! :kiss:

I leave this here in hope anyone else with the same issue can get it fixed asap.

Many thanks to Tex_NL for the help in recovering the quicksave.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.