AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Johno

I usually save via Alt-F5 when reaching milestones (like safely landing on another body or attaching another part to a space station). I also use several saves for that very reason that I might be able to recover a save that's 30 minutes old an not a week or two.

Ofc this isn't foolproof either. Recently I just finished docking the ISRU module to my Duna base when instead of Alt-F5 I pressed Alt-F4... Was not happy...

That's what he meant. I've done that too. Botched a landing and held f9 hoping for the best, and losing 2-3 entire tech nodes worth of progress. It is beyond frustrating.

I've been in a situation where I did have a quicksave from before attempting the landing. Then I crash in a ball of fire or what have you. Time to reload, let me just hold down the F5 key to reload.

I've done that so many times I've just stopped using F5/F9 and only use Alt-F5/Alt-F9. At least then when I hit F5 instead of F9 I realize my mistake when it asks me for the name of the quicksave.

Here's what I want in a save system:

1) Autosave every X minutes, where X can be set by the user, or disabled entirely.

I've been considering scribbling up a simple external utility to do this. My own games I've scribbled up generally have a save backup system much like that, although I use my weird binary timestamp instead of something entirely human-readable (it's human readable to me though, heh).

Binary time:

$ date;datestr -h

Wed Sep 23 17:58:38 EDT 2015

2015-09-23_bfc

it's 0xBFC of 0xFFF right now. That's a lot shorter than '17:58:38' (3 chars vs 6-8)

Good point. That does make more sense.

It's also ISO standard 8601 (and is self-consistent with the time, which generally puts the slowest-changing/longest timespan number first). Also works rather well with command line utilities (doubly so with things like bash shell globbing). del blah_2014-* (delete everything from last year; cmd.exe), tar cvfz monthly.tar.gz blah_2015-??-01* (the data saved on the first of every month; /bin/{ba,}sh), etcetc.

Brief update on the Dated QuickSaves update: I'll do it tomorrow when I have more time (didn't get any this evening). I've got a bit of tweaking I want to do to the shared mod that DQS and Sensible Screenshots will use, and I need to write up some new files for CKAN so that I don't break existing installs by adding a dependency that's not on CKAN yet.

Dated QuickSaves has been updated to include the ability to define the filename as whatever you want (using real time, in-game time, vessel name, biome, ksp version, etc), adds separate autosaves at a configurable time interval, and has a configurable number of files to keep. The normal behavior of copying+renaming the quicksave file whenever you press F5 works just the same as before.

Check out the forum page, or the KerbalStuff page, or install via CKAN by searching for "Dated QuickSaves".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.