Estimates for when to expect another attempt at 64 bit KSP on Windows

Creeperchair

I know everyone stared, at some point, complaining about 64 bit KSP being unstable. I may have crashed once using 64 bit. Now that 64 bit is unsupported and I am forced to use 32 bit, the game crashes after up to 5 flights, but usually only 1 or 2. A decent amount of the all instances of KSP, I cannot enter the any of the buildings no matter what I do. Even with building shortcuts, I cannot enter buildings. KSP 64 never had any problems excluding the loading screen being the Astronaut Complex, sometimes being unable to right click parts in flight, and the weird desktop mouse glitch that you solve by right-clicking. I could run KSP 64 bit using far more mods than I can run KSP 32 bit. I am just wondering when KSP will support having more than 2 mods without crashing more than Crysis on a computer from 1742 again.

I do not hate KSP. I just hate 32 bit KSP, and am wondering how many years it should take for 64 bit to be allowed again.

Actually for me the bigger issue is performance. I run heavily modded with my save file being 11MB but with -force-opengl the crash rate is about once every couple of hours - okay break time for me.

However, a slide show when operating a base is simply just... uhh...

Would some Linux users weigh in on this? I've been tempted to do an ubuntu dual boot install just to run 54. Is it worth it? I've heard the performance is still bad, there just isn't the memory crashes.

Performance on Linux depends a lot on hardware and on getting the right drivers. Most if not all AMD cards underperform on Linux, but if you have something like an R9 280 it'll probably still breeze through KSP.

However 1.0.x took a big performance dive from 0.90.

1.1 or now.

Thank you for that, and to Squad for making 64 bit available again.

Looking forward to not having 4.09 gb of crash logs.

Actually for me the bigger issue is performance. I run heavily modded with my save file being 11MB but with -force-opengl the crash rate is about once every couple of hours - okay break time for me.

However, a slide show when operating a base is simply just... uhh...

I use opengl; many of my crash logs are 5 minutes apart.

1.1 or now.

I use the NOW approach. It works GREAT. I've seen no ill effects other than my left and right mouse buttons become the same button until I right click once and that's it. KSP is currently using 6GB of RAM and doesn't even crash or struggle. Running in openGL would decrease the ram count by a large amount but the performance for me is gross, and I like my visual mods, too

Thank you for that, and to Squad for making 64 bit available again.

Looking forward to not having 4.09 gb of crash logs.

I use opengl; many of my crash logs are 5 minutes apart.

Heh, I used to play 64 fine back when they still released the 64 bit version, with the only mods that didn't work on it being people who made their mods just not load if they detected the 64 bit version because apparently they thought this would have people not come to their mod posts and complain (which in most cases backfired, since in cases like ferram aerospace that modified content instead of adding it, that just meant that now none of my parts had any aerodynamic properties since he disabled them, so I went on his topic to complain when I wouldn't have otherwise if my game just crashed or something)

Currently with the 32 bit version, I had to remove half of the mods I had in my 64 bit version, and I still only have a 1 in 10 chance of the game actually loading, with it just crashing the other 9 times I try to boot it because of too many mods

If it does load up, I can do maybe one or two flights before my spacecraft just explodes on the launchpad (killing all crew, which sucks in hardcore mode where it autosaves as soon as you launch meaning every time it bugs out I lose a ton of money, rep and experienced crew and have it autosave right after it happens) or my hangar's UI just bugs out and becomes unusable

Can't hold all these crash logs, waiting for the second coming of our lord and savior 64 bit

Would some Linux users weigh in on this? I've been tempted to do an ubuntu dual boot install just to run 54. Is it worth it? I've heard the performance is still bad, there just isn't the memory crashes.

No, it actually runs pretty well. I used to get horrible stutters when rotating the camera but it was caused by my mouse using up all available CPU power when I used the buttons. I fixed it by setting the mouse polling rate to 125Hz instead of the default of 1000Hz and now it's working great. I'm still getting some small stutters but it's barely noticeable.

This is with i7 2600k / GTX 970 / 8GB of RAM on Kubuntu 15.04, running KSP 1.0.4.

It's nice to not have to worry about the game running out of memory. Since doing the 64bit workaround 3 months ago, I've had 2 crashes I can't explain. Compare that to the 32bit version which would crash every few hours or so and I'm like 'why would I want to go back?'. Sure, some mods disable themselves but there's programs to change that and, as long as I don't go reporting bugs, everything is wonderful. Because if I ran the 32bit version, well, I'm a mod junkie and see my signature.

Like I said, it's nice to see a mod and think 'ooh, having that!' without then having to think 'which one to take out first though..?'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.