Help with Duna & Jool missions

For your gravity assist : just place a maneuvre node and tweak it until your post-Tylo encounter touch the orbit of one of the moon.

For your Duna tug : attached as it is to your page 2 lander, it will have 3877 m/s delta-V, which is largely enough. You can do all your maneuvres without aerobreaking with it.

For your gravity assist : just place a maneuvre node and tweak it until your post-Tylo encounter touch the orbit of one of the moon.

For your Duna tug : attached as it is to your page 2 lander, it will have 3877 m/s delta-V, which is largely enough. You can do all your maneuvres without aerobreaking with it.

Ok, so I will start the Duna mission as soon as I can (school is reeeaaly taking my free time). As for the Jool mission, do you advise against using the atmo enterer for Laythe? I thought about it and it seems better. Unfortunately I don't have parachutes so I will never be able to land it. :(

I'm not experienced enough to tell you how to use Laythe's atmosphere correctly. I read that some people use it for capturing into the Joolian system, but in my opinion this is quite a dangerous thing and requires a heatshield, while Tylo gravity assist is totally free of danger.

But you can certainly use it once inside the Joolian system.

I'm not experienced enough to tell you how to use Laythe's atmosphere correctly. I read that some people use it for capturing into the Joolian system, but in my opinion this is quite a dangerous thing and requires a heatshield, while Tylo gravity assist is totally free of danger.

But you can certainly use it once inside the Joolian system.

Sorry, what I meant was to use my smaller probe (which is an atmo entry spaceship with a heat shield) to explore the atmosphere of Laythe and not Jool. Like I said, I don't have parachutes, so no surface science for me.

I guess you can take the science into high atmosphere, just touching it at 49900m and exiting it just after so you don't crash on the moon.

I think my mission will be this:

- Use tylo gravity assist to cross Laythe

- Adjust orbit to enter Laythean atmosphere

- Decouple atmo probe

- Adjust periaps so the main ship will not enter atmo.

- Use laythe gravity assist to go to another moon

And then I will use that gravity to go to the next moon... And so on...

Seems like a nice mission for only ~ 65000 funds, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure. How much delta V does it have with the lander on it?

Looking at the mass of the Lander it should cut the delta-v in almost half, but then again when it returns there will be less mass, so I am guessing ~ 4500 m/s?

Edited by Delta-Cheese

Why guessing ? I told you a few posts ago that it's gonna have 3877 m/s is the two are docked as they stand now. You're gonna get a bit more in fact, because on the return way your lander will be empty of it's fuel.

For your multiple gravity assist plan, it might work, but remember that Bop and Pol are really small and aren't gonna help you with it.

When in doubt: add heat radiators. Those things are really strong against raising temperatures right now, too strong actually imo.

This...I added the small radiators to my nuke rockets...no heat problem anymore

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.