Transparent windows in command modules

Yea I want to see the peeps inside the windows

And more info (staging for example) displayed in IVA activity so you can actually fly the craft the entire time during IVA, I don't even think you can jettison a stage during IVA (i may be wrong)

Edited by fireblade274

And more info (staging for example) displayed in IVA activity so you can actually fly the craft the entire time during IVA, I don't even think you can jettison a stage during IVA (i may be wrong)
It is technically possible. Maybe RPM shouldn't be stock, but this or similar really should.

Maybe RPM shouldn't be stock, but this or similar really should.

RPM SHOULD BE IN STOCK. It (and a few other mods) takes care of: Seeing your whole ship, See through a camera, helps with docking in IVA, Orbital/Ship statistics. Without these things, IVA is extremely hard and useless.

Also IMHO, that mod does not look as good as RPM.

RPM has a higher tax on system resources. Roverdude made an alternate lighter weight transparent window plugin but that doesn't mean you can just go crazy all those those happy seat dancing kerbals you gotta render will come back to bite you. not to mention it will raise the bar for IVA's making them have to line up with windows perfectly.

Simply put it's a nice touch but not one all the users and mod authors would be excited about. Some people resent IVA's all together considering them an unnecessary waste of resources that some users demand to the point of being annoying, and that we'd all be better off being satisfied with just a portrait cam. As a result of such a division this should remain the realm of mods until such a time as mods exploiting transparent windows are happily discovered to be the norm.

RPM has a higher tax on system resources. Roverdude made an alternate lighter weight transparent window plugin but that doesn't mean you can just go crazy all those those happy seat dancing kerbals you gotta render will come back to bite you. not to mention it will raise the bar for IVA's making them have to line up with windows perfectly.

Simply put it's a nice touch but not one all the users and mod authors would be excited about. Some people resent IVA's all together considering them an unnecessary waste of resources that some users demand to the point of being annoying, and that we'd all be better off being satisfied with just a portrait cam. As a result of such a division this should remain the realm of mods until such a time as mods exploiting transparent windows are happily discovered to be the norm.

You have evidence this would be a waste of resources? The game is already displaying the IVA in the crew portraits and quite frankly mods are extra and should not inhibit the core game. If mod authors don't want clear windows in their mod they don't have to add them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Not to mention, graphical capabilities are always configurable. It adds nothing to the game that cannot be disabled easily. It's not as if it's adding a bunch of useless parts or something. It's the same silly argument against clouds, if you don't like it, turn it off. That doesn't mean the rest of us should go without.

I've wanted this for quite some time, but I also want a proper simulation of reflection. If the light source in front of the window is brighter than the light source behind it (in cabin lights, would be an accompanying feature to this) then something similar to Windows Shine should happen, only with the clear windows. Max did say they weren't happy with the graphics abilities in the game so hopefully they will consider this.

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone likes multi-functional displays in sixties-space capsule, okay?

Why does every capsule have to implement it just because it is added to the game?

Edited by Alshain

Why does every capsule have to implement it just because it is added to the game?
Good point. Mk3 cockpit really can have them. Everything else - not sure.

Still don't really think it is wise to propose it (I never bothered to install it and try it out because there was something unclear about installation process and I don't want to risk my laptop memory), but a wide community campaign to ask for it can have success.

Not everyone likes multi-functional displays in sixties-space capsule, okay?

I see your point. Some people may not want to use displays in their command pods, So they just shouldn't use them. There should be one or two screens *(maybe on the sides of the command pods) that are for the people who want the screens because they need to see

[list I already gave], and then for the people who don't use them, they don't use it. It's not that the player is forced to use the screen, but if they want to they could.

I see your point. Some people may not want to use displays in their command pods, So they just shouldn't use them. There should be one or two screens *(maybe on the sides of the command pods) that are for the people who want the screens because they need to see

[list I already gave], and then for the people who don't use them, they don't use it. It's not that the player is forced to use the screen, but if they want to they could.

In a couple of the IVA of stock pods, there are actually places for an In Flight Computer to go. Mainly the newest ones porkjet made.

If they could include something like the ASET pack in the game it would make it feel so much better. I think it's time for a stock IVA revamp. Anyone else agree?

Re The transparent windows, I've never been a fan of them in KSP. It's not kerbal, put it that way. :)

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

What does RPM mean aside from car engines lol

If mod authors don't want clear windows in their mod they don't have to add them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Not to mention, graphical capabilities are always configurable. It adds nothing to the game that cannot be disabled easily. It's not as if it's adding a bunch of useless parts or something. It's the same silly argument against clouds, if you don't like it, turn it off. That doesn't mean the rest of us should go without.

100% agreed LETS DO IT

What does RPM mean aside from car engines lol

Raster Prop Monitor is a mod that adds Multi-function displays so you can reasonably fly a craft from it's IVA view.

One of the secondary abilities in the RPM dll is an almost unrelated function that allows you to add transparent windows that display the IVA behind them. While this is good and all, it still lacks reflective surfaces to make it truly realistic. Ideally any light source on the outside of the window brighter than the light on the inside would cause a reflection (such as the daylight side of a planet).

4ExKuTV.jpg

Edited by Alshain

I made changes to RPM transparent pods recently. The latest version allows you to toggle transparency per pod in the vab and in flight. Disclaimer:only for mods with IVAs that have RPM transparent pods configured. It also only renders the IVA if it is within a certain distance of the actual active camera. In testing I found unity rendering IVAs causes significant frame drop. Yes the IVA is rendered in the portrait cams but it's small. Large complex IVAs will take more GPU to render. Depends on your GPU.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2015 at 8:23 AM, JPLRepo said:

I made changes to RPM transparent pods recently. The latest version allows you to toggle transparency per pod in the vab and in flight. Disclaimer:only for mods with IVAs that have RPM transparent pods configured. It also only renders the IVA if it is within a certain distance of the actual active camera. In testing I found unity rendering IVAs causes significant frame drop. Yes the IVA is rendered in the portrait cams but it's small. Large complex IVAs will take more GPU to render. Depends on your GPU.

Just to report on that, I'm using Transparent Pods from here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/75897-v090v25transparent-pods-v122-for-ksp-v090/ and the performance hit is substantial, especially if you run Scatterer/EVE. My FPS drops from 85+ to 42-45fps for 50-60 part ship in Kerbin orbit when I turn the Transparent Pod option on and it gets worse if you time-warp. I'm on very beefy PC with  OCd GTX 980Ti + 4.5Ghz i5930 6-core

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.