Largest Aircraft to Land at KSC Island Challenge

inigma

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:56 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

OK so I thought I was done but evidently not.  Meet the newly upgraded A380 Stupor Krumbo Choad Goliath Beluga Guppy.  Affectionately know as "Baron Von Kraken" in the inner circles.

• 1024 seats...:cool:
  • 568.76t landed at the island runway.

I believe I have now taken the Stupor Krumbo to the logical kerbal limit.  The slightest wrong move results in, well let's just check out the mission report:

As a point of order I'd like to recognise my computer for handling two of these things in the same vicinity without immediately collapsing in a wheezing mess.

Maybe I'll stop entering this challenge (for) now. :lol:

SM

Your landings be like

fail.jpg

On 1/6/2016 at 7:13 PM, rocketengineer1982 said:

After trying a basic airliner design, I decided to try something different and build a biplane loosely based on the Vickers Vimy.

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/vickers_vimy_kp.jpg

My creation is a 166.5 tonne monstrosity capable of carrying 148 Kerbals (incuding 4 crew), that I jokingly dub the Vickers V380.  It's got 300-some parts (my poor, poor framerate) and actually handles fairly well for its size.  It takes off at around 80 m/s and uses 6 parachutes to help slow down upon landing.  The fastest I pushed it was 180m/s in a 40 degree climb, and 4.6g pulling into the climb.

It only took me one try to get it down on the runway.  I had to try twice to takeoff though because my first attempt wasn't lined up right and so I ran off the edge.

I used FAR for my entry.

http://imgur.com/a/i2hcM

EDIT: Dang it, I missed taking the screenshots in map view.  I guess I got too focused on turning it around at the island.  I'll do another flight within the next few days and get those screenshots.

Well, classes started up so it took me a lot longer to get back to this than I thought it would.  Note to self: do not assume that the weekend before moving back to campus will be sedate...  Driving was a much better relaxation than flying (low framerates make my eyes hurt), so I worked on the Elcano Challenge instead.  And then there was so much homework.

Anyway, I made the flight again.  Note that the SAS light is not on in any of the screenshots.  The Vickers V380 is actually a very stable aircraft and flies quite nicely.  Except for the 300-odd parts killing my framerate.

Using FAR:

• 148 Kerbals safely transported to the Island Runway.
  • 166.09 tonne aircraft safely landed at the Island Runway
  • And the required safe takeoff.  If you want to see photos of it landing at KSC, check the link in my original post.

The inspiration for the aircraft:

vickers_vimy_kp.jpg

My aircraft.  The angle is quite a bit off (oops!) and the engines on the nose are a little weird, but it's close to a Vimy.  Based on my experiences in FS2004, it even flies like one, albeit quite a bit faster!

nMDRLvD.png

4tH0YXW.png

The eagle-eyed among you will notice my Elcano Challenge finish line off the far end of the runway in previous two pictures.  Yet another challenge I have been neglecting...  

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129651-elcano-challenge-with-rocketengineer1982-kerbin-circumnavigation/

5v6euOP.png

pKkCtw2.png

wN9ISot.png

0am5U8j.png

mgEdsd2.png

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/X1kJE

Edited by rocketengineer1982

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.