Valentina died... sitting in her landed vehicle? StageRecovery

While Val was out on a routine long range survey, an unmanned communications satellite mission required mission control's attention.

She landed safely, set her brakes, and shut down her engines.

After the satellite made its maneuver, mission control tried to contact Valentina, to no avail.

Her jet was sitting intact just where she had landed, but she was gone.

She's listed as K.I.A.

I don't have any life support mods. Could this have been Stage Recovery? The only issue I've had with it previously was when it recovered four tourists who should have burned up along with Jeb.

With her being my last pilot, I had to unkill her.

Edited by Tfin

41 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

If there's anything Hollywood has taught me, it's that bringing people back from the dead is generally a bad idea...

oh god, hoards of undead Kerbals.....Kombies? Zerbals?

Sorry OP, I can't be any more useful. If it was stage recovery wouldn't that have recovered the whole craft too?  
oh....wait...did you go EVA and have you updated to build 1028? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/125001-make-sure-youre-updated-to-build-1028/
If you're on 1.0.5 but not on the 1028 build there's a problem with IVA (and EVA I think), I managed to clone Bob because he'd got out, but was still registered as being inside. Maybe it would work the other way; she'd got back in so unloaded from the scene, but it hadn't registered her back in the craft.  Anyway, build 1028 fixed that so check you're on that build. 

Edited by katateochi

I have a screenshot somewhere:

I was in interplanetary space, I checked flight status (F3), and there is a single event listed: "Jebidiah Kerman was killed." He wasn't even on the flight!

I'm thinking, "Did somebody shoot him?" 

It was like a strange message from home in an A.C, Clarke novel. "Oh, by the way Haywood, Jeb was killed."

Never found out why, it was a sandbox game so he came right back,

1 hour ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

It was like a strange message from home in an A.C, Clarke novel. "Oh, by the way Haywood, Jeb was killed."

What does it say about me that I fully expected Haywood to just rolls his eyes and ask "What did he do this time?"

I had this happen to me too, had to bring back Jeb, Bill *And* Bob.

Are you using remote tech, and did your lander have a probe core on it, and was it in network range or out of network range? I was wondering if this may have caused some funkyness...

On 1/13/2016 at 0:17 PM, se5a said:

I had this happen to me too, had to bring back Jeb, Bill *And* Bob.

Are you using remote tech, and did your lander have a probe core on it, and was it in network range or out of network range? I was wondering if this may have caused some funkyness...

I am using RT.

This has happened to Val twice now. Both times were while landed on Kerbin. Once was a jet, and once was a return from space that I needed to leave in place for some reason I can't recall.

Both were before I had any network up (I've just got 3 omnis + active vessel dishes out at 750,000m right now -- going to move them to 1.2Mm I think), and both were after switching to another vessel that did some warping.

There were no probe cores on her craft; there hasn't been a need for dual controllers yet, except for one failed test ("Oh, it's the OTHER one that has built-in SAS!")

Other kerbals currently in orbit (5 rescues and a Mun mission) are still alive and well. I'm concerned about the pilot of the lander if I need to leave him on the surface for a bit, though.

Edited by Tfin
added info.

I had this issue before on Eeloo though. I needed to place my orbital satellite above Jool and when I came back for my 5 kerbals (jeb, bill, bob, vale and thom) on Eeloo, everything was normal, there was a few pieces of debris however and all of my Kerbals were killed inside the comand pods and were listed as M.I.A. I had to resurrect them from the dead afterward... (I've done this 9 times already from these glitches!)

The undead army!

Himmm...  Ive had this happen again a couple of times  now too.  No probe core either this time.  Switched to the ksc and back, crew disappeared.  I suspect its affecting  some craft more than others... Im  trying to find a correlation but failing. 

Just lost a scientist and an engineer who were in a rover about to set off to complete a nearby ground survey contract. They were in external seats. I had a probe core, but hadn't turned on the antenna. There are two dead bodies lying next to the rover now.

screenshot42_zpsih2dvbqo.png

On 1/17/2016 at 6:31 PM, se5a said:

Himmm...  Ive had this happen again a couple of times  now too.  No probe core either this time.  Switched to the ksc and back, crew disappeared.  I suspect its affecting  some craft more than others... Im  trying to find a correlation but failing. 

(contents invalidated)

Edited by Tfin

On 1/19/2016 at 1:07 PM, se5a said:

Can you replicate it with *only* remote tech installed?

if we can narrow it down a bit more I'll post a bug report on github.

Creating a clean install. This'll take a bit. I should've kept one.

1. Clean install, added RemoteTech 1.6.9 with included Module Manager and nothing else.

2. New career save, Normal difficulty modified to not respawn dead.

3. Jeb is sitting on the runway in an Aeris 3A, brakes locked.

4. Launching a fully crewed Kerbal X.

5. Put Kerbal X in Munar orbit. Switched back to Aeris 3A, which... fell apart! Hmm. Jeb is still there, so next I'll have to start adding mods to find the conflict. Recovering Aeris 3A to relaunch, then I'll start adding on....

47 minutes ago, Tfin said:

5. Put Kerbal X in Munar orbit. Switched back to Aeris 3A, which... fell apart! Hmm. Jeb is still there, so next I'll have to start adding mods to find the conflict. Recovering Aeris 3A to relaunch, then I'll start adding on....

I've got: 

KIS,

KAS,

firespitter,

KerbalConstructionTime,

Infernal Robotics, 

MechJeb2,

PilotAssistant, 

RemoteTech,

StageRecoverty,

Trajectories, 

TriggerTech,

TtweakScale, 

Void. 

on a hunch I'd start with Pilot Assistant and Tweakscale,  if you also are using those. 

Mods in order added:

1. RemoteTech
    Module Manager supporting
    Run, test, exit
2. Contract Pack - RemoteTech
    Contract Configurator supporting
    Run, test, exit
3. Ambient Light Adjustment
    Toolbar supporting
    Run, test, exit
4. QuickExit
    Run, test, exit
    Run, test, exit
5. Graphic Memory Monitor
    Run, test, exit
6. Stage Recovery
    (NOT adding KerbalConstructionTime)
    Run, test, Jeb's dead.

Looks like the two might not play well together. Going to remove others to see....

Removed all mods except StageRecovery, RemoteTech, and Module Manager:

Run.

Recover Aeris 3A, launch new one with Maxmie.

Switch to map.

Switch to Kerbal X, previously landed on the far side of the Mun.

Val, Bill, Bob all alive inside.

Switch back to Aeris 3A, Maxmie has died.

Edited by Tfin
added info.

To follow up, I just went back to the limited-mod install, with ONLY Stage Recovery installed. The same thing happens.

Launched new aircraft.

Set the brakes, leaving it parked on the runway.

Used map to switch to craft landed on Mun.

Occupants of lander are OK.

Used map to switch back to plane.

Occupant is dead.

So, it's back to that. Stage Recovery killed my pilots.

Can confirm it's StageRecovery, I got a report earlier today about the same issue from someone else. In the future if you ever suspect one of my mods to be doing something it shouldn't be, don't hesitate to tag me in a post with "@".

I'll try to get a fix out as soon as I can. If not today/tomorrow then definitely by the end of the week. Use 1.5.8 in the meantime.

Edited by magico13

7 hours ago, magico13 said:

Can confirm it's StageRecovery, I got a report earlier today about the same issue from someone else. In the future if you ever suspect one of my mods to be doing something it shouldn't be, don't hesitate to tag me in a post with "@".

I'll try to get a fix out as soon as I can. If not today/tomorrow then definitely by the end of the week. Use 1.5.8 in the meantime.

Cool. I'll likely just stick with what I have until the new one, since my career was ruined by a tragically expensive physics accident.

If you, or anyone else experiencing this bug, would be willing to test out a development build of StageRecovery and let me know if you're still getting the bug I'd really appreciate it. I think I fixed it (it wasn't skipping over landed vessels like it should have) but I'd like to make sure it's working correctly. Just drop that .dll in GameData/StageRecovery and overwrite the old one. I don't need logs or anything, just a simple "yes it works" or "no it didn't fix my problem". Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

If you, or anyone else experiencing this bug, would be willing to test out a development build of StageRecovery and let me know if you're still getting the bug I'd really appreciate it. I think I fixed it (it wasn't skipping over landed vessels like it should have) but I'd like to make sure it's working correctly. Just drop that .dll in GameData/StageRecovery and overwrite the old one. I don't need logs or anything, just a simple "yes it works" or "no it didn't fix my problem". Thanks! :)

This seems to have fixed it. My pilot on the runway survived when I switched to the lander on the Mun!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.