New Upper Stage Progression for SLS

Budgie

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/02/nasa-enforce-early-switch-eus-sls/

It would seem NASA wants to move off the ICPS/DCSS upper stage for the SLS as soon as possible. The plan is now to only use it for the first EM-1 uncrewed mission. Beyond that, the rocket will fly in its "workhorse" configuration, with the larger Exploration Upper Stage, and all ground support equipment will be modified for it. 

What do you guys think? Will this open opportunities for more payloads? 

Like the article suggests, despite NASA losing funding in this current budget cycle, it is thought that there are enough SLS supporters in congress that will bump the funding back up. Be that for scientific/exploratory progress or for jobs in constituencies I don't know. But I can say that getting a new heavy lift rocket is a good thing. I believe the payloads will come. 

(In direct response to your post, I'm sure NASA wants all the funding and use it can get out of SLS, so it's the US government that may or may not want to pay for missions)

3 hours ago, Budgie said:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/02/nasa-enforce-early-switch-eus-sls/

It would seem NASA wants to move off the ICPS/DCSS upper stage for the SLS as soon as possible. The plan is now to only use it for the first EM-1 uncrewed mission. Beyond that, the rocket will fly in its "workhorse" configuration, with the larger Exploration Upper Stage, and all ground support equipment will be modified for it. 

What do you guys think? Will this open opportunities for more payloads? 

Retiring Block I ASAP is probably a good thing (the Delta IV infrstructure used to make the ICPS isn't worth it- honestly, Block I should have never been made, and a SLS first launch moved to 2019-2020.)

I hope this decision prevails, keeping the Delta IV upper stage operational for a few launches is going to be expensive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.