[STOCK] Wildfire Small Crew Transport SSTO

Rezolution

Been a while since I posted an SSTO, so I thought I'd share my latest design; the Wildfire Small Crew Transport. It may be tough to see, but the Wildfire has a Mk1 Crew Cabin between the main tanks and is capable of carrying three Kerbals to a 120K orbiting space station (just not with a great view ;) ), and return. My goal was to see how small I could make an SSTO that could transport at least three crew members to orbit, doc with a station, and make it back to Kerbin. 

Please let me know what you think. Thanks for the look!

Edit: Here's the .craft file for those interested. Wildfire.craft

If you fly it, here's a few tips: Pitch for 30 degrees on takeoff and hold it there at full throttle all the way up. That's pretty much it for reaching orbit. Group 1 switches engine modes, but it's easier just to let them auto switch. At this point your Apoapsis should be around 67k. 

It becomes a bit nose heavy after all fuel is exhausted. With empty tanks it is still controllable, but requires a lot of lead time to get the pitch angle up for landing. Best to keep a bit of fuel in the rearmost center tank. If docking at a refueling station, I'd top off enough to make sure that that tank has fuel during landing just to make things easy. 

Comments and concerns always welcome! Have fun. 

WlUgsIE.png

OYABbZM.png

wqDpxIc.png

4fdOIrH.png

Edited by Rezolution
Added .craft file.

4 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Wait...this is an SSTO? This small little thing?

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed, OP.

Thanks, Sequinox. It is certainly an SSTO.

I won't lie, though, the fuel load is just enough to make it to the station with a tad left over. As long as you hit your marks, however, it can make the trip to 120K and back. Worst case, I refuel at the station before heading home. 

6 hours ago, Unknown_Enemy said:

Nice design, small and clean I like it.

edit : is there a craftfile ?

I just uploaded the .craft file and added a few flying tips for anyone who wants to fly it. If you do, please let me know how it went ;) .

Thank you all for the positive comments. She's not perfect, but I did enjoy working on the project and still have fun using her for fairy flights. 

Edited by Rezolution

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.