YSS- Yukon's Space Program, Take Two

Yukon0009

So I decided the pace of my previous mission report was going too damm slow, and decided to start another one instead.

Our story (or Wernher's, really) starts again with a single very tough probe headed for Duna, in prep for a kerb'ed landing. 

Launched aboard a hacked together launcher, the Iris I blasts off into the midday sun. With a TWR of 2.5 on launch, the probe quickly clears the upper stratosphere and flies off to Duna. No, the engineers " can't be bothered with no damn aeroshell".

screenshot3611_zpsqj8ewrkd.png

screenshot3865_zpsu1gmt230.png

200 days later, Iris I comes out of hibe. Mission Control opted to do a close flyby of Ike, skimming no more than 10 km at one point. In the words of Wernher, "becuze vhy not?"

screenshot3927_zpsc5hhv4no.png

After aerobraking into LDO (the Ike flyby didn't do much to trajectory) the probe is set down on some flat terrain, the future landing spot of the Expedition One fleet.

screenshot3990_zps1bcb6iza.png

screenshot3985_zpsg3wrb2sj.png

screenshot3996_zps8vdqgge4.png

Landing site:

Safe- check

Flat, nice terrain- check

Awesomeness- oh dear. Fire that intern.

Next episode: Duna Ascender and co. launched into orbit.

screenshot3606_zpsi9ryvsuw.png

New episode!

The mission plane includes a DAV that rides unmanned down to Duna's surface with enough dV to do a straight Kerbin return,

a tough rover and a descent vehicle that takes 3 kerbals down along with some cargo

a Hab with some supplies onboard.

The equipment is duly launched into orbit.

screenshot3630_zpscedyvcvs.png

screenshot3607_zpsgjogng0l.png

screenshot3665_zpsfyeuuknd.pngscreenshot4161_zps3116anx9.png

The DAV has a set of small fins on the top that makes it reenter the right way up, as it's top heavy.

Next and final launch is the Crew Vehicle that transports the crew of the Original 3 to Duna. It's a one-way trip for the ship, so it can afford to carry supplies.

screenshot4187_zpsvnfmpmno.png

screenshot4294_zps1iwxqtbp.png

Next episode- Flight to Duna. (200 day long board game session.)

screenshot4281_zps8wswaw42.png

Edited by Yukon0009

On 2/27/2016 at 10:50 PM, Yukon0009 said:

New episode!

The mission plane includes a DAV that rides unmanned down to Duna's surface with enough dV to do a straight Kerbin return,

a tough rover and a descent vehicle that takes 3 kerbals down along with some cargo

a Hab with some supplies onboard.

The equipment is duly launched into orbit.

The DAV has a set of small fins on the top that makes it reenter the right way up, as it's top heavy.

Next and final launch is the Crew Vehicle that transports the crew of the Original 3 to Duna. It's a one-way trip for the ship, so it can afford to carry supplies.

I like your designs.  Good luck with the mission.

4 hours ago, galaxyguy said:

good job (wow Those launchers are small)

Look like 3.75m cores to me.  Those are pretty big :)  Why bother with a tangle of asparagus when you can just use a wider rocket?

22 hours ago, galaxyguy said:

good job (wow Those launchers are small)

Most of the rockets are 3.75m, but yes the first one is a bit small.

New episode! Crew and co launches to Duna.

Crew Vehicle is the first one to burn to Duna, so it'll end up there last.

The TWR is a mere 0.20, burn took a decent while.

screenshot4276_zpsojx3penv.png

screenshot4305_zpsizy4y9u2.png

Next to go is the Hab Module with the precious supplies of snacks and nuts and bolts. (Bill was recently released from the Kerbin Mental Asylum on the grounds they let him eat bolts.)

screenshot4318_zpsjns5luiv.png

screenshot4326_zpsm0ghfhmj.png

The nukes went pretty darn hot midburn since there are no radiators on the Nerva tugs.

After that went the DDV and Rover. The rover is a really tough design with monoprop engines and a rollcage to protect the solar panels.

screenshot4330_zpsbg2v4pmx.png

screenshot4333_zpsrijal2jm.png

screenshot4337_zpsholjvwho.png

screenshot4337_zpsholjvwho.png

The DAV went next, but I forgot to take screenshots. Silly me.

A little inbetween the burns to Duna, I launched a small ion probe headed for Jool. Due in about 2 years.

screenshot3875_zpsja4kfu8l.png

screenshot3891_zpscch6m3p0.png

screenshot3904_zpsca5qc6fv.png

Next episode- Duna arrival.

Would you guys prefer updates with more content but further spaced apart, or updates with a bit less content but posted more frequently?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.