[STOCK] Upside Down Hover Stunt Plane

I saw an earlier work of a F35 swivel jet and thought I'd have a go at such a design.  I never tried the F35 craft file so this was developed independently and I'm not sure if it works the same way.  Goes from vertical to horizontal flight and back again.  Engine rotation can be controlled when there's no forward or backward momentum. When RCS runs out or turned off, it becomes as a stunt plane, able to hover upside down while the pilot gets some fresh air outside the cockpit.

Skip to 1:30 for the main part.

Just another video showing specs, takeoff, and landing.

[Download]

Edited by evader

Would you happen to have a craft file or a video of the bearing mechanism itself? I've been trying to find inspiration lately to build a bearing for my not-so-successful turbo shaft engines.

Excellent plane by the way. I hadn't really thought of using such bearings before for VTOL swivels.

Very nice craft and good effort! Many people have attempted to make stock swivel jets with a variety of success. The craft you linked to is nice but it does use the Infernal Robotics mod. I'm guessing the engines on your design are docked to the main craft and undocked and switched to during flight? That's pretty cool but it does mean you have to have the fuel connected to the jets and have to switch to the jets to control the throttle. I'm not knocking your design though, just trying to guess how it works. I think it was GigglePlex who made a stock F35 with a swivel jet where the jet was still attached to the craft although it was a bit fiddly to fly, (imho).

One thing you could try is to use airbrakes as a lever to turn the jets although that would limit the rotation to about 80 degrees. Also, if you need any help with bearings then let me know as I have made quite a few.

Since 1.1 is out and the wheel physics changed, I decided to create a download link for it.  I also tweaked it for better electricity generation but my attempts to limit rotation using air brakes failed.  Also tried getting the swivel parts to dock to use fuel from the main body but had no luck.  Maybe in 0g environments it would work.  The bearing wheels are also fragile so I attempted to put stronger tail wheels which, while more durable, caused spontaneous explosions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.