Multiple Stage Launch?

I'm wondering. How can I do a mutli-stage launch. You know, when one parts falls off, a another engine ignites.

By attaching the Decoupler part to the bottom of your first stage engine, you create a new stage. You can then build your next stage below that decoupler.

When you launch the rocket, the spacebar will cause the decoupler to separate the lower stage from the upper stage. Pressing the spacebar one more time, the upper stage will activate and fire it's engines.

It's also a good idea to put a decoupler under your command pod so when you are ready to land, you can pop the pod off the top of the rocket and land without a lot of weight that the parachute might not be able to slow down enough.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

• 4 weeks later...

Does it explode because the three stacks try to separate or does it just blow up on the pad when you hit the launch button?

If it's the first issue, use some struts to tie the bottoms together so they can't pull apart. If it's the second, try reducing your throttle to zero then launch and slowly ramp it up. Or just do both! :)

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

It doesn't launch. It just fire each rocket, then when I start the next stage, boom. It blows up, the last rocket will launch though.

All three engines on the bottom are lit, you're at full throttle, and you're not moving? Then you try starting the second, and get the explosion?

There's two possibilities. One is that your rocket simply weighs too much for your engines to lift. The other is that you've hit the sticky-pad bug. Try putting a decoupler under each of your engines, then firing that before throttling up. If that doesn't work, and your rocket doesn't lift off, it's too heavy. Add boosters!

sometimes the linkage between the engines and tanks can buckle under their weight, i usually add some headlong structs to reinforce seams between tanks and engines.... even between stages (cross-stage struts will split once the base on either end is detached from the stack)

check the icons in the stack display after igniting the bottom stage, if they're dead (faded dark), it's beacause they have broken off from the vehicle (too much structural load) - you should also hear a 'phlooft' sound

then add more boosters - can't hurt :cheers: