Watch the Apollo 11 Moon Landing with mission control loops

Hysterrics

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

We will never replicate that. Landing manually on another world for the first time in a tin can using the crudest possible computers with virtually all mission control being processed through a three-second delay one hundred thousand miles away...unbelievable.

No wonder they launched with such high fuel margins. 

18 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

We will never replicate that. Landing manually on another world for the first time in a tin can using the crudest possible computers with virtually all mission control being processed through a three-second delay one hundred thousand miles away...unbelievable.

No wonder they launched with such high fuel margins. 

Don't forget how they landed with 30 seconds of fuel left.

The entire design was amazing. There's to much for me to say about it right now, but I love it.

6 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Don't forget how they landed with 30 seconds of fuel left.

The entire design was amazing. There's to much for me to say about it right now, but I love it.

Talk about guts.

'So you want me to climb into a metal cone on top of the biggest stack of explosives ever built, let it push me off the world and onto a gravity-defying loop around another world, then break my ship in two, turn upside in mid-air, ram my half back into the other half, pull off a piece of it, then flip back around and use a separate stack of explosives...these lethally toxic...to push me onto a collision course with the other world? Then you want me to turn off the explosives and wait until I'm really close, then turn the explosives back on and get moving fast enough to fall around the other world without hitting it, then get out of the metal cone and into the tin can I pulled out of the other half of the ship, break it off of my ship again, and then use a third set of explosives to slow me down until I'm back on a collision course with the other world? Then you want me to lay down and let a massive, clunky, slow computer control the flow of explosives to lower me down to the surface, then sit back up and use the explosives to manually steer this tin can to a landing on its tail while depending on some guys a hundred thousand miles away for almost all the information I need? And that's just the first half? Sure, when do we start?"

And the idiot at my bar last night assured me that we never could have landed on the moon and it was all propaganda. 

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Talk about guts.

'So you want me to climb into a metal cone on top of the biggest stack of explosives ever built, let it push me off the world and onto a gravity-defying loop around another world, then break my ship in two, turn upside in mid-air, ram my half back into the other half, pull off a piece of it, then flip back around and use a separate stack of explosives...these lethally toxic...to push me onto a collision course with the other world? Then you want me to turn off the explosives and wait until I'm really close, then turn the explosives back on and get moving fast enough to fall around the other world without hitting it, then get out of the metal cone and into the tin can I pulled out of the other half of the ship, break it off of my ship again, and then use a third set of explosives to slow me down until I'm back on a collision course with the other world? Then you want me to lay down and let a massive, clunky, slow computer control the flow of explosives to lower me down to the surface, then sit back up and use the explosives to manually steer this tin can to a landing on its tail while depending on some guys a hundred thousand miles away for almost all the information I need? And that's just the first half? Sure, when do we start?"

And the idiot at my bar last night assured me that we never could have landed on the moon and it was all propaganda. 

Sounds so much easier then faking it.

The fact that the company challenged to build the LEM had to go through so many design changes to stripping the thing down to bare essentials. It's why I love the Apollo program. They went from not even a man in orbit to a man on the Moon in 10 years. It's beautiful.

Very cool site. I saw late into it that they had Armstrong's heart rate monitor.  Was kinda interesting to see it go up so high around landing.   I don't think anyone needed proof of the kind pressure they were under, but there it is.

27 minutes ago, Kilmeister said:

Very cool site. I saw late into it that they had Armstrong's heart rate monitor.  Was kinda interesting to see it go up so high around landing.   I don't think anyone needed proof of the kind pressure they were under, but there it is.

Especially CAPCOM. That's a damn hard role during all of that. "Rodger Twan-, Tranquility..."

22 hours ago, Kilmeister said:

Yeah - it's not like Armstrong was a naturally excitable type. The man bailed out of an out-of-control 'flying bedstead' lunar landing trainer and then goes right back to the office like it was no big deal. Even the other astronauts thought that was a bit frosty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.