1.0.5 Solid to the Mun

Yes, yes, I'm _far_ from the first to do this. But heck, was it fun to do it myself! Based on the British Interplanetary Society solid fuel moon rocket design, complete with a bit of RCS for fine adjustments and pretty much all attitude control out of the atmosphere.

TxZkeys.png

Here's the album.

Edited by DancesWithSquirrels
Better image and Imgur album insertion

1 minute ago, WillThe84th said:

I was doing a career mode game in a 5x Kerbol system, and I was running out of funds, so I made an all solid booster that would bring a kerbal into orbit. I had some issues with reentry because of the lack of fine precision thrusting.

The fixed dV per stage is a bit clumsy, but I found it possible to get the orbital changes I wanted by either changing the altitude of the burn (adjustment a la Oberth efficiency) or to accept a bit of normal or radial dV thrown away to get the prograde/retrograde I wanted. 

2 minutes ago, DancesWithSquirrels said:

The fixed dV per stage is a bit clumsy, but I found it possible to get the orbital changes I wanted by either changing the altitude of the burn (adjustment a la Oberth efficiency) or to accept a bit of normal or radial dV thrown away to get the prograde/retrograde I wanted. 

It's a bit harder in a circular orbit, and besides, this was before I had sepratrons.

The kerbal made it home safely, if you were wondering.

Edited by WillThe84th

1 minute ago, WillThe84th said:

It's a bit harder in a circular orbit, and besides, this was before I had sepratrons.

The other method I've seen (Scott Manly did this) is to set your reentry or adjustment boosters to a low thrust, watch what you're doing in the map mode, and start tumbling the ship when you get close - the rest of the dV will average out close to zero.

Ahh, SRBs are quite fun indeed!

Some tips I've learned in my SRB adventures:

1: Seperatrons are great for fine-tuning. All you have to know is how much Delta-V they give your ship, and then you create a maneuver node with exactly that much delta-V (Adding radial or normal components as necessary)

2: You can fine tune interplanetary transfers by timing the ejection burn. A split-second change in when you start your burn can influence your ejection angle, and thus, your solar trajectory. With enough quick-loading and quick-saving, you can find the exact timing that will give you an encounter.

3: You don't have to do a powered landing. On airless bodies with low gravity such as the Mun, or Eeloo, you can build a lithobraking landing system that can take hits of up to 100 m/s. On planets with atmospheres such as Eve or Duna, you can use wings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.