TWR vagaries...

Techninja117

I have run into a problem a few times with TWR calculations and the rocket not preforming to spec. For instance, I use data and numbers provided on the ksp wiki and the in game thrust and weight figures. My latest instance of this problem was when I had a rocket with a supposed TWR of 1.43. Which means that the rocket should have seen, at full loading and 100% throttle, an acceleration force equal to 1.43 gees. The rocket, however, felt like taking a day off and not launching until it burned through a tank of fuel on each of 5 engines... I then went and checked my math with a know working real world rocket and I was not incorrect... so my question is... What gives?

Thick atmosphere maybe?

It can\'t be atmospheric drag if he\'s not moving. ;)

I think the sticky pad theory is the best so far.

Also, if the TWR is 1.43:1, the rocket\'s initial acceleration will only be 0.43 g\'s because you\'ve first got to overcome Kerbin\'s gravity.

I agree with throwing a decoupler on the bottom of your engines. I find it helps get around the sticky launch pad problem entirely.

I also use the decoupler bases with a lot of struts to stabilize a rocket that would otherwise be unable to stand on its own. When it is in your first stage when the engines ignite, it keeps the nose pointed straight and gets a clean launch every time.

Great Idea, never thought of it :3 .43g of acceleration is still 4.21701m/s :P with exponential growth.

Only until aerodynamic drag starts to kick in. And you waste a lot of fuel getting to equilibrium if your rocket is underpowered. You want a TWR closer to 2:1. Check out the Mini Challenge: Max Altitude with this supplied spacecraft thread over in the challenges section. There is excellent discussion and analysis in there about optimal ascent profiles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.