Mipmap artifacts in GIMP

Hi all.

I was tweaking the colors of MainSailor's interstage texture (for Procedural Parts) in GIMP to be more in line with stock and ran into some mipmapping artifacts that seem to come from the way GIMP generates them when exporting to DDS. Was wondering if anyone knows a solution.

As an aside, what image editing tools do you guys use and how do you like them?

Not 100% sure if I can see the problem. Are you talking about the seemingly random contrast on the ribbing?
Are you sure it actually did export mipmaps? Without mipmaps it tends to look pixely and aliased.
Does gimp provide any MIP export options? I use NVidia texturing tools + PS, one can choose different sharpen/soften settings etc for mipmaps there on export.

Sorry, I'll upload some better pictures. The problem is the vertical black banding in the grey texture, the white one is MainSailor's original texture which doesn't have it. The only MIP option seems to be a checkbox for whether or not to generate them.

Here's the two textures with some of the mipmap layers superimposed (GIMP reads the mipmaps as layers, not sure if that's standard), a better pic from the VAB and the DDS export dialogue window.

Sadly no. Dropdown menu for "Color Selection" (Distance, Luminance, Inset Bounding Box) and a checkbox to use "Dithering", neither of which seemed to do much.

This one texture isn't a huge deal, but I'm worried GIMP isn't going to cut it if I want to learn how to make parts from scratch. I think I saw some way to generate mipmaps in Unity last time I tried it years ago, so I'm downloading it now to see.

Edited by BadOaks

On 26/04/2016 at 1:10 AM, BadOaks said:

Sadly no. Dropdown menu for "Color Selection" (Distance, Luminance, Inset Bounding Box) and a checkbox to use "Dithering", neither of which seemed to do much.

This one texture isn't a huge deal, but I'm worried GIMP isn't going to cut it if I want to learn how to make parts from scratch. I think I saw some way to generate mipmaps in Unity last time I tried it years ago, so I'm downloading it now to see.

I have an extra dropdown menu there, under advanced, with the name "Mipmap filter", with a similar range of options to the standard image resizing. I don't recall whether the .dds export is an add-on or built-in, but I'd check you have the latest version. I'm on GIMP 2.8.10 and the website says it's up to 2.8.16. I ought to update, I think. It does look like it is a plug-in, and there are still links to a really old version of the plug-in on the net.

Edited by Wolf Baginski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.