Sudden unexplained horizontal movement on Spaceplane

Well, not totally unexplained.  I know it's the tail that is suddenly pulling me sideways, but WHY it's suddenly pulling me sideways?  I have no idea.

Here, I'll show you.

26156353903_f46ac4adb1_h.jpg

No hands on the controls, 'T' is on, it's going straight like an arrow and then BOOM!  It does this and spins out.

Any ideas anyone?

There is a longstanding bug in the runway colliders that causes the left-side wheels to have slightly more drag than the right-side wheels. This always causes your plane to veer slowly to the left as you roll down the runway.

Your SAS system will try to compensate for this with aerodynamic, gimbal, and steering control inputs. But with your current settings on your wheels, your plane is not stable when rolling.

You need to modify the friction settings on your wheels until the plane is stable when steered during takeoff -- there really is no other solution. Try setting the front wheel friction to .3 or lower, and maybe set the rear wheel friction to .4 to .6. You just have to try some values and see what works -- there are no rules.

It's not part of the runway that causes the veering, it's wobble.

The more wobble between each wheel, the more it will disrupt your runway roll. His main's are attached to his wings, which wobble like a mother. I am aware you want a tricycle style layout, but attaching it to solid main body parts that have very strong connections between each other (Mk3 body parts) will reduce wobble to the point you can take off. Ideally, you can attach all three gear to a single large structural piece and basically remove wobble entirely.

I fully expect Slashy or someone with solid stats to come in and show me up, but I assure you, it's wobble and eliminating it will make for a better takeoff.

The wheels aren't actually attached to the wings.  I'm aware of the wobble problem, so I always attach the wheels to the main base and move them out into the wings.  That way I get the wide tricycle layout, with the stability of a narrow one.  I turned the friction WAY down and it works ... sort of.  I can get off the ground in a straight line, but if for some reason start to slide sideways, I REALLY start to slide sideways, like I'm taking off on ice.  It's a hacky workaround anyways and I think they should just fix the bug.  It's not the first and only bug with the runway.  I think it's mainly because it's a 'created' structure.  If they just had it as flat ground, there wouldn't be this problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.