Gravity counteractions

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Just dealing with life problems.

While I was gone I thought, 'Hmmm so Deimos and Phobos are around the size of Mt. Everest and have gravity and that means if Everest was a space rock it would have gravity too... right?'

Why is it that Everest has no gravity then? Well logic would dictate that Earth's gravity counteracts Everest's meaning Olympus Mons on Mars would have LOADS of gravity.

Leave a comment on this idea.:D

So, things on Earth do have gravity. An interesting quirk of this is that if all the ice in Antarctica melted, the seas would rise more in the north than the south. This is because so much ice is held in Antarctica that its gravity is pulling more ocean water south. So if it melts that gravitational effect will be gone and water will swell northwards. Not much, I think an inch or two at most. 

8 minutes ago, DanDaAwesome said:

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Just dealing with life problems.

While I was gone I thought, 'Hmmm so Deimos and Phobos are around the size of Mt. Everest and have gravity and that means if Everest was a space rock it would have gravity too... right?'

Why is it that Everest has no gravity then? Well logic would dictate that Earth's gravity counteracts Everest's meaning Olympus Mons on Mars would have LOADS of gravity.

Leave a comment on this idea.:D

Phobos and Deimos have only tiny amounts of gravity. Mountains do, in fact have gravitational pull on the objects around them, and this fact was used to get some of the earliest estimates for the mass of the earth

Just now, DanDaAwesome said:

Hmm so if we were in space would a tiny object be able to orbit us?

Absolutely, provided we were far enough away from a large planet or moon. The closer you are to a bigger body, the smaller your SOI becomes. The International Space Station, for example, has in its current orbit a SOI about 2m in diameter, if memory serves, which is a lot smaller than the station itself, so anything trying to orbit it now would still be gravitationally dominated by the earth.

Everest has gravity, if you climb to the top youll experience more of everests gravity and less of the earth by a tiny fraction of a percent. 

Edited by PB666

Himalaya has a non-negligible impact on Earth's gravitational field when in orbit. If you look at a distribution of debris in GEO, you'll find that there are more of them over Himalaya, because of the gravitational pull of the mountains.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.