Part modeling and LOD

Is there any reference to multiple part LOD for custom parts?  I'm in the process of designing a new part and wanted to see if there is any built-in support for LOD - the idea being that I want my part to be FPS friendly while still looking decent up close.

Not seeing a lot of hits on LOD so I hope one of the gurus can point me in the right direction.   I can certainly have a custom part module that will do this for me, just wondering if the API for 1.1 already provides for parts with multiple LOD.

Thanks!

Zip

Edited by ziporama
typeo

IMHO there is no (modder controlled) LOD system in KSP. (besides mipmapping on the texture side).

On the other side, KSP is far from limited by geometry. Even parts with insanely high polycount (models intended to be rendered offline slammed into ksp as game models) run fine.

Avoid unusual high drawcalls by not using separate meshes for details (always join meshes as far as possible), using as few materials as possible etc.

Also use only as much colliders as you need, and use primitive colliders like sphere and capsule instead of mesh colliders where possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.