CKAN on xubuntu 16.4

I have just gone back to xubuntu 16.4 and have managed to get CKAN running but it doesn't seem to be able to actually update or install anything. The program gets to the status log screen and then just stays there with the bar flashing across the top. I am probably missing something obvious but just can't see it. Thanks in advance to any that reply with helpful suggestions. Also just found out I can't close the program.

Edited by ArturDent69

First thing to check : does it produce any errors on STDOUT/STDERR when started from a console/xterm?
Is it only the GUI that is screwey? i.e. can you update with ./ckan.exe update on the command line?
What about output when starting with --verbose or --debug?
I'm no expert on CKAN, as I don't really use it extensively for various usability reasons, but it's generally fairly verbose in it's terminal output when something goes wrong... if it doesn't crash outright that is.
Also might be worth asking/searching around the CKAN thread - there are a couple of known gotchas IIRC (ssl certs?) and more knowledable users over there.

Edited by steve_v

Thanks for the response. The program doesn't crash or anything, no error messages. I only use a half dozen mods and even when I try the smallest it goes to the update screen, the last that pops up telling you what is happening and then just sits there with a green pulse going left to right across the top. I just found out how to close it, has to be closed at the terminal level not the exe. I have been searching tirelessly since before i posted this for something, anything. I have only just returned to using a linux flavour after ~5yrs absence and had never gamed on it before.

My thought was it might be something internal to xubuntu stopping it from downloading or transferring files to the folder but haven't found any reason that would happen in forums. next thought was a missing file for mono or something so I reinstalled and checked that, all was ok there. I then tried getting CKAn from the sudo command instead of the download, no better also tried the tar.gz version and compiled it, also no better. really at a loss now. Thanks again for the info, will look into how to see the STDOUT/STDERR thing, might take awhile to learn how that works.

1 hour ago, ArturDent69 said:

I then tried getting CKAn from the sudo command instead of the download

Not entirely sure what you mean by this (is ckan in the ubuntu repos or something?), but one should never run CKAN as root / with sudo. Same goes for most applications in fact. Doing so is a security nightmare and will probably louse up config file permissions too.

will look into how to see the STDOUT/STDERR thing, might take awhile to learn how that works.

Well, STDOUT is just the standard output to the terminal, STDERR much the same - i.e. the text output in the terminal window from which you started CKAN. Adding --debug or --verbose  should increase the detail presented here.

All-in-all, this does sound like CKAN/mono can't connect to the download location, verbose terminal output should tell you why. That this (among other things) makes the GUI un-closeable without killing it from the console is on my "why I don't use CKAN" list.

Edited by steve_v

figured out the stdout thing and theres nothing in the terminal that was running the program, no error reports. That was what I was referencing earlier, I am wondering if I need to give it permissions to alter the KSP install files, so far I have tried everything suggested in the CKAN thread and a dozen or more places on the web, latest was uninstalling it all and starting from scratch, didnt help. with the new install I will see if anything new shows up in terminal now and post it if it seems applicable

1931 [1] ERROR CKAN.URLHandlers (null) - There was an error while registering the URL handler for ckan:// - Could not find a part of the path "/home/usr/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list".
1941 [1] ERROR CKAN.URLHandlers (null) -   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) <0x7f7bbcf5c2c0 + 0x001f4> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, System.String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) <0x7f7bbcf5c210 + 0x0004d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions,string,bool,bool,bool)
  at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile (System.String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost) <0x7f7bbcdceb80 + 0x00095> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost) <0x7f7bbcdce840 + 0x00073> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize) <0x7f7bbcdce800 + 0x00035> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path) <0x7f7bbcdce750 + 0x0002a> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamWriter:.ctor (string)
  at System.IO.File.WriteAllLines (System.String path, System.String[] contents) <0x7f7bbcf5a800 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0
  at CKAN.URLHandlers.RegisterURLHandler_Linux () <0x41d71620 + 0x00185> in <filename unknown>:0
  at CKAN.URLHandlers.RegisterURLHandler (CKAN.Configuration config, IUser user) <0x41d712e0 + 0x00037> in <filename unknown>:0

This is everything the terminal shows me, hadn't noticed the errors in the first 2 lines before now. I hope this provides some insight

this line "/home/usr/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" does not have the last 2 segments in my file system, "applications/mimeapps.list" is nowhere to be found

Edited by ArturDent69
clarification

5 hours ago, ArturDent69 said:

I have just gone back to xubuntu 16.4 and have managed to get CKAN running but it doesn't seem to be able to actually update or install anything. The program gets to the status log screen and then just stays there with the bar flashing across the top. I am probably missing something obvious but just can't see it. Thanks in advance to any that reply with helpful suggestions. Also just found out I can't close the program.

Just did the same thing yesterday, ran into the same problem with ckan.exe not downloading anything. Try this in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev

Then re-run ckan.exe - this should fix the issue. If not, try re-building ckan.exe once more by running build.sh again.

Also, in order to fix issues with SSL certs, you may have to run the following command as well:

mozroots --import --ask-remove

Edited by lodger

6 minutes ago, lodger said:

Just did the same thing yesterday, ran into the same problem with ckan.exe not downloading anything. Try this in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev

Then re-run ckan.exe - this should fix the issue.

the sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev was among the first things I installed as per the instructions on the CKAN install page, although I did just do a retry on that package and have re-started CKAN as I type this, it is working and installing fine now, very odd that it didnt take the first time. Thanks dude

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.