Kontrol MK1 - KSP Control Panel [WIP]

Monsterlunch

Hullo everyone!

Recently, I have been working on an easy to build, Arduino based KSP Controller. This is the thread where I will post updates on the Controller.

Well, progress has accelerated quite a bit in this project, as I am currently an intern at a factory where the do stuff with metal n stuff. As we all know, interns ain't got nothing to do all the time, so they let me use their tools n do stuff, which led to me working on a my Controller for 32 hours this week already. This made me scrubb my plans of making an easy to build controller - I went for full metal. My own case is 95% Aluminium, causing the thing to already weigh a ton or so.

I'm probably the first person to be paid for making a KSP Controller. :D 

No Pics no Clicks!:

Update I: 09.06.2016 Switches have been installed, Case is structurally complete. LEDs will be fitted into the small holes on the right side, big red staging button is on my shopping list and will be fitted right next to the lock button.

So much for my own Panel.

As I have been documenting my own project quite well, I will probably create a new thread soonTM, concerning a DIY KSP Controller - Kontrol MK2.The DIY Controller will use a plastic casing you can buy at your local electronics shop and you will therefore be able to build it in your own basement using nothing but your finger nails and your teeth! Ok, you might need some basic tools but that's it. :wink: 

Cheers!

Edited by Monsterlunch

5 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

Oh my God. *snip*

Hahah I'm glad you like it!

I do have a Joystick standing around, I rarely use it though. I rely on rockets throughout my spaceprogram and the keyboard works just fine for that. (For me)

What I don't have is a lack of project ideas in general. Other projects that is. Maybe I'll pick the Panel project up another time again, but I'm planning on keeping the Setup small and simple. The Idea of a "full" control panel is pretty tempting though. As soon as I make up my mind I'll let you know! :D

3 hours ago, Capac Amaru said:

Are you working off some kind of guide? Are you making one of your own? I'm looking for a project to get into electronics and arduino, but I'm pure noob.

I can warmly recommend KSP for a starting project with Arduino. When I set out, I was total Jon Snow apart from a smattering of Java and knowing the difference between voltage and current. Start making a throttle if you haven't got one on a joystick, it is a few minutes of work and maybe $5 if you buy an Uno knock off and a potmeter on Ebay, and probably the single greatest improvement over flying with keyboard. Work from there, ask around, and share your pictures. Good luck

@Capac Amaru

pretty much what Freshmeat said. An arduino's language is incredibly easy to pick up, if not the easiest of them all.

I am working on a little guide covering building your own Kontroller for less than 50 Funds, so if you're not in a hurry you might have a look into that soon...

Cheers!

Edited by Monsterlunch

Update!

I bought some LEDs today! Of course I prematurely installed them - I even took a picture!

lExecaz.jpg

In more serious news, there has been no "real" progress - I am just working on getting all the parts I'll need to wire the electronics up.

The only thing that's still missing is a big red staging button. Problem is that I have a very clear picture in mind what it's gotta look like. I'm open for suggestions concerning staging buttons (30mm).

Hopefully I'll find something suitable this week, so I can start working on cabling the electronics together this weekend.

Cheers!

questions tomorrow, me is tired.

The thing I don't like about that switch is that it's latching. When you hit it, it needs to be twisted to unlatch and open again.

But you can find a lot of similar-looking non-latching ones by asking eBay for "mushroom switch".

I have a pair of big old red switches. Anodized red aluminum pushbuttons meant as stop switches, but from before the times when everyone required latching. Never used 'em, cause I went with another type instead. I KNOW there are plain pushbutton "Big Red Button™" devices out there. They exist. Specifically look for the term "momentary" when searching. I even found a pair that is momentary on eBay, for $5, Comes with one red and 1 green (staging, abort?), which isn't a bad deal.

14 hours ago, richfiles said:

Not sure if it was clear or not, but those types of latching switches hold the button down until you twist them (to release). They don't "lock out" the button. They "lock in".

Ahh, of course! How silly of me lol.

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys very very much for all the input, I started working on the Panel again this weekend! I just finished soldering all the switches together, so i can connect them to the arduino board.

Next up: Finishing the coding and implementing KSPSerialIO....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.