Crocket's Discount Rockets [Stock-et]

Right now this post is fairly empty. More will be added soon, I promise!

ROCKETS

RATS-S Trefoil

The smallest rocket in the RATS line!

An acronym for Rocket Assisted Transport System - Small size, it features a Mainsail core stage powered by two Jumbo-64s and three onion-staged x200-32s powering three Skippers. The drop tanks are fitted with parachutes and are theorhetically recoverable, but this has not been tested. The ship itself weighs 167.145 tons and has 79 parts. If gravity turn is done correctly, you should have just enough fuel to circularize before having to dump the core stage. Contains an Intrepid Orbiter as test cargo.

Dropbox

LANDERS

Anubis

Introducing the go-anywhere*, do-anything** lander for the ages: the ANUBIS!

*except for tylo and eve

**except for go to tylo and eve

The Anubis is an 18-part lander weighing in at just under 8.9 tons (8.897!!!) named for the C7 Type-B nosecones on top of its tanks. It's featuring two LT-45 Swivel engines as the main engines and an LV-909 Terrier engine for (small) emergency maneuvers or for things like taking off from Gilly where using the mains would be a waste of fuel. And you wouldn't want to waste a single unit: fuel is tight for the Swivels, coming in at 135 units and a staggering 45 for the Terrier! Fortunately, it houses a docking port at the top of the lander can for- well, docking- but due to its namesake nosecones a longer 1.25m part is needed for the docking magic to happen. Action 1 toggles the Swivels, Action 2 toggles the Terrier.

Dropbox

ORBITERS

Intrepid

A hardy orbiter with two ports to boot!

The Intrepid is a 39-part orbiter tipping the scales at just under 22.6 tons (22.590 to be exact). Its two LV-45 Swivel Engines along with giving it gimbaling for days also give the craft an unfortunately low TWR, but it can still lift off from Kerbin. (Getting into orbit is a different story.) The Intrepid houses two RCS blocks and 750 units of monoprop to juice 'em, compared to 720 units of LF for the engines. Despite the sideways-mounted engines, the Intrepid doesn't spin at all. These were implemented to make way for the shining star of this craft: the two shielded docking ports on either end. They're useful for tugging smaller craft to safety and linking together sections of larger ones.

Dropbox

SUBASSEMBLIES

GLS-I Humphrey

Since the Imgur embedder doesn't play nice with single images, here's a link.

Five asparagus Jumbo-64s with Skippers. Works well with medium-weight missions.

Dropbox

Happy Crocketeering!

Edited by Crocket

12 hours ago, Firemetal said:

The lander looks like a Jool 5 capable craft. Just needs Laythe and Tylo ascent/descent and a mother ship and you're all set! (Unless you already did It:P)

Jool 5 is quite far away on my list of things to do: I'm thinking about a Duna mission right now. :blush:

45 minutes ago, Crocket said:

Jool 5 is quite far away on my list of things to do: I'm thinking about a Duna mission right now. :blush:

Oh Duna is quite easy. But Ike is way easier! However if you want to go to Duna first, first you must do an orbital insertion aerobreak. Once you got an encounter, lower your PE to 25km. Point retrograde and just aerobreak. Then you can land. Otherwise if you just go directly to the surface, you'll have a LOT of slowing down to do.

2 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Oh Duna is quite easy. But Ike is way easier! However if you want to go to Duna first, first you must do an orbital insertion aerobreak. Once you got an encounter, lower your PE to 25km. Point retrograde and just aerobreak. Then you can land. Otherwise if you just go directly to the surface, you'll have a LOT of slowing down to do.

Thanks! Have some rep!

In other news, I'm hoping to get the RATS-M onto the store today! It might take some final tweaks, however...

21 minutes ago, Crocket said:

Thanks! Have some rep!

In other news, I'm hoping to get the RATS-M onto the store today! It might take some final tweaks, however...

Thanks!

Ok looking forward to that.

Also on a side note love your profile pic!

16 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Thanks!

Ok looking forward to that.

Also on a side note love your profile pic!

Thank you!

The RATS-M is almost ready for the store, except that it's a limp noodle with the fairing and payload attached.

The RATS-M is causing so many headaches right now. In its current state, I had to add an intermediate stage because the launch stage couldn't make it past about a 50km apoapsis. The intermediate stage can crawl to a 100km apoapsis but can't complete the burn. I may either redesign it or skip it entirely and head to the RATS-L.

d3RIoTq.png

Here's the RATS-M Workhorse, carrying the Anubis and a lifter I designed for it. The engines on the sides of the side tanks are to deorbit with (though I may not need them with how this thing flies :mad:). I usually launch at 66% thrust and go full throttle when the sides flame out.

Building the RATS-M is a losing battle, seeing as how it costs 209k funds. I'll just move on to the RATS-L and make a new heavy lander in compensation. I've been wanting to make one of those for a while.

Hmmm. Download KER.

You can see how much delta v you have. You want at least 3300 m/s to get into orbit around Kerbin. If you don't have that, add moar boosters!!

First you don't need those tiny 1.25 meter boosters on the side. Second, those wings are very big! Just use winglets. And third, is this supposed to be reusable? (parachutes) If not add nose cones instead but if it isn't just forget this suggestion. Apart from that it looks fine.

22 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Hmmm. Download KER.

You can see how much delta v you have. You want at least 3300 m/s to get into orbit around Kerbin. If you don't have that, add moar boosters!!

First you don't need those tiny 1.25 meter boosters on the side. Second, those wings are very big! Just use winglets. And third, is this supposed to be reusable? (parachutes) If not add nose cones instead but if it isn't just forget this suggestion. Apart from that it looks fine.

1. Those are the deorbit engines, and they probably won't be needed.

2. Okay.

3. Yes.

Just now, Crocket said:

1. Those are the deorbit engines, and they probably won't be needed.

2. Okay.

3. Yes.

Well if you can't get it into orbit initially, you don't need de-orbit engines. Also the parachutes don't slow it down enough so you'll need just a little bit of fuel to slow it down the rest of the way so you won't need the de-orbit engines even if you make it to orbit.

And again download KER. It is probably the most helpful mod there is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2016 at 8:53 PM, Crocket said:

d3RIoTq.png

Here's the RATS-M Workhorse, carrying the Anubis and a lifter I designed for it. The engines on the sides of the side tanks are to deorbit with (though I may not need them with how this thing flies :mad:). I usually launch at 66% thrust and go full throttle when the sides flame out.

Reminds me of my Europa 1200 which used to have the same problem...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.