Is there a mod for escape pod cargo bays? (If that's what they are even called)

cai1234

I've tried searching all over google, different mod websites, and so on, trying to find if a mod that adds a cargo bay with slots for things like escape pods exists. It would be like a normal fuselage/ fuel tank, but when deployed, a thin wall slides down and reveals the slots with the pods in them, in which the pods are then fired out of, thus escaping from the ship they launched from. An example of what I'm talking about (and where I also got the idea from), is in the beginning of Mass Effect 2, when the escape pods are launched from the burning Normandy Sr-1:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

If this has been asked before, I'm sorry about that, and all you have to do is tell me and I'll take this down. I've just been looking all over and can't find anything, not even posts, resembling what I'm asking. And if a mod like this doesn't exist, could someone be nice enough to take a crack at it, if it's at all possible? I would love feed back on this, as I think it would be a nice edition, because it could even be used for things other than escape pods, and it would also be nice if variable depths were available, and if the ejection force could be set.

If you need further information on what I'm asking, I found a video that shows what I'm talking about, and the link here will start you at the part (which only lasts 8 seconds) that shows what I'm talking about.

Edited by cai1234

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Hi @cai1234, and welcome to the forums!

I don't think there's been a mod like that. I suggest trying to make something stock for now, and contacting a modder to see if it's something they could do.

Thanks for replying!

I've tried several things in the past to try and mimic this, but one of the problems is, I only need the compartment that holds the pod to be a little bit bigger than the pod itself in diameter *for example, if I built the pod using 1.25m parts, I only need the compartment to be like 1.5m in diameter (or even 1.4m). With tweakscale, it makes the compartment much bigger than I need it to, which in turn makes it rattle about. And even so, I end up having to make the pods hang of the side, rather than being enclosed inside the craft itself, because doing something like this is too hard *and pointless* inside normal cargo bays, and clipping parts inside fuel tanks and such, obviously creates more issues than it solves.

And if you can refer me to any modders that might be willing to take up a job like this, that would be greatly appreciated, as I've been a bit too apprehensive to contact any of the numerous authors of the mods I use because I don't know how active they are, nor do I want to be a nuisance if they have a busy schedules with the mod(s) they are constantly working on.

Here are a couple ideas - not quite exactly what you are looking for but may be close enough.

There was a Youtube video awhile back where EnterElysium (in one of the World War K series) used the radial cryo tanks from DeepFreezeContinued on the outside of ship.  At one point the ship was hit and several of the tanks floating away looked like unpowered escape pods.  This one is more of a stretch.

You might be interested in taking a look at Roverdude's USI Survivability Pack.  It has the "DERP" modular escape craft which has a 1-Kerbal inflatable pod with engines and fuel which you can attach to a ship with a decoupler.  It is designed to work with his Life Support mod, but not required.  One of the cool things about it is the action group configuration as I recall - you can set an action group to inflate and jettison all of the pods.  (You may be able to even set an action group for Kerbals to evacuate to the pods after they inflate although I may be misremembering this.)

Neither is 100% what you are looking for, but may be close enough to offer a starting point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.