Remote Tech issue

Hi. I'm setting up a relay network of ComSats and I'm running into a few issues. (I'm using the latest KSP with the latest Remote Tech and a few other mods, but none of them should be incompatible, and I've used Remote Tech before will all of them with no issues).

So far, I have a "train" consisting of three satellites: ComSat 1, 2 and 3, in order from the first to the last. They are all always within line of sight of each other. Each has three long range, dish antennas. One of the three antennas on each satellite is targeted towards KSC. This is the configuration:

ComSat 1. Antenna #1: KSC. Antenna #2: ComSat 2. Antenna #3: None.

ComSat 2. Antenna #1: KSC. Antenna #2: ComSat 3. Antenna #3: None.

ComSat 3. Antenna #1: KSC. Antenna #2: None (ComSat 4 as soon as I'll launch it). Antenna #3: None.

As soon as KSC comes into view from ComSat 1, a connection between the two is established. Once it acquires connection, ComSat 1 immediately relays the signal to ComSat 2, so that it is connected as well, despite not being directly in KSC's line of sight. However, for some reason I find odd, ComSat 2 does not immediately relay to ComSat 3. It does so only when ComSat 2 is itself directly in KSC's line of sight; only then does it relay the signal to ComSat 3.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong? I can send screenshots if it helps visualize the issue. Sorry if this is stupid... Cheers!

Comsat 2 should have a dish pointed back to Comsat 1. Likewise Comsat 3 should have a dish pointed back to Comsat 2.

I'm actually a little bit surprised you've got any connection between satellites at all. But that might just be because you got lucky with the angles.

EDIT: The Remotetech guide does have some documentation on connection rules that should hopefully clear this up for you.

Edited by stibbons

26 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Comsat 2 should have a dish pointed back to Comsat 1. Likewise Comsat 3 should have a dish pointed back to Comsat 2.

I'm actually a little bit surprised you've got any connection between satellites at all. But that might just be because you got lucky with the angles.

Wouldn't this be possible too?

ComSat 1. Antenna #1: ComSat 2. Omni #1 (you might need to set up a simple Omni relay system if Ap exceeds max omni height).  Antenna #2 / #3 future use.

ComSat 2. Antenna #1: ComSat 3.  Omni #1 (automatic KSC connection). Antenna #2 / #3 future use.

ComSat 3. Antenna #1: ComSat 1 (or 4 if in orbit). Omni #1 (automatic KSC connection). Antenna #2 / #3 future use.

ComSat 4. Antenna #1: ComSat 1. Omni #1 (automatic KSC connection). Antenna #2 / #3 future use.

Just now, ToukieToucan said:

Wouldn't this be possible too?

I ninja'd your post with a link to the connection rules. :)

The important thing is that both ComSats need an antenna connected for the link to be established. For your setup, ComSat 1 has a dish pointed at ComSat 2. But the only possible connection from ComSat 2 to 1 comes from 2's omni antenna. So you'd have to be within omni range for the link to be established.

My preferred setup for the early game is a comsat with one Communotron 16 omni, and one of the first dish antennas. Launch 4-5 of those in identical orbits around 750km. The omni should be enough to keep links between satellites as well as a link to KSC. And then set the dish on each satellite to target the active vessel. That will give you uninterrupted coverage around the Kerbin system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.