Mk1 cockpit is underpowered

7 hours ago, mk1980 said:

if you're looking for a stock "workaround", put an antenna on the point of the nose. it's a bit of an exploit i guess, but it works and doesn't require mods or removed / lowered reentry heat settings.

Didn't work. Does it have to be spot on?

2 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Dunno, but it could be because the Mk 1 Cockpit's nose is off-center. I can confirm massive heat reduction on other cockpits.

19 hours ago, Firemetal said:

seems to work for me when the antenna is directly on the nose. it's kinda hard to place it precisely. requires a bit of rotating/translating to get it right.

i did some test runs when i learned of that little trick. without an "antenna nose", a simple SSTO with whiplash/aerospike (for example the stock Aeris A4) will just explode from overheating if you set it on a shallow ascent to squeeze out maximum air breathing performance. cockpit always explodes around the time the plane gets to ~1100-1200 m/s. with the antenna nose, the plane survives the shallow ascent, and gets to about ~1350 m/s before i have to switch over to rockets.

1 hour ago, mk1980 said:

seems to work for me when the antenna is directly on the nose. it's kinda hard to place it precisely. requires a bit of rotating/translating to get it right.

i did some test runs when i learned of that little trick. without an "antenna nose", a simple SSTO with whiplash/aerospike (for example the stock Aeris A4) will just explode from overheating if you set it on a shallow ascent to squeeze out maximum air breathing performance. cockpit always explodes around the time the plane gets to ~1100-1200 m/s. with the antenna nose, the plane survives the shallow ascent, and gets to about ~1350 m/s before i have to switch over to rockets.

I will try it again soon. Thanks!

So forgetting the changes you want made to the stock game and parts for a moment, as they are different issues and require decisions to be made out of our control, I believe there are two options for those wanting a beefed up mk1 cockpit in the interim.   It appears most discussing this are probably PC players, and I could be a bit wrong, if so forgive me.

1. I'm pretty sure you could make a simple module manager cfg, and have it apply any heat tolerance and mass changes you want. The wording of the cfg could be found out easy on the forums, idk much about it, but have seen similar things done with it. Even if you don't use mods, module manager is a small mod and wouldn't affect anything else. If you use mods, chances are you have mm already.

2. I'm not sure the method, but there is a way to "clone" a part and make changes to it as well. Taniwha did this with the EPL mod and cloned the hitchicker capsule and turned it into a workshop for his mod. Same part textures, just added some function to it for his mod. This may be possible too and you could do the above with the cloned part, buff it up and have it better withstand the heat and rename it, same looking part with new name and specs essentially.  Then you have both the stock mk1 for early atmosphere then a mk1b or whatever you call it for space travel as was suggested as on possible solution for stock. 

Im pretty sure both of these scenarios are possible, and should be fairly easy compared to most modding. I admit I'm only relating what I've seen done in other aspects before. So maybe this could help for now, or I could be wrong.  :) 

I'm also not a big spaceplaner, lol, so I can't speak to the overall issue being discussed. The request made seems reasonable enough though and if this is truly an issue then it would need addressing for stock due to the game being on consoles now.

so I'm in no way dismissing your concerns or suggestions in the thread, just wanted to throw out an option for those on PC's that moght help to address the issue in a fairly simple fashion other than having to turn off, or down, heating effects in the meantime.

Edited by Hevak

Cloning a part in MM is trivial,  nothing more than this:

+PART[oldpart]
{
    @name=newname
<insert other stuff you want changed>
}

For some reason the mobile version of the board has no code block option...

But seriously as people have said, there's more danger on the way up than down, and if there's problems on the way up there's a design issue with the craft.

Edited by Van Disaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.