An attempt to view the fourth dimension

On 8/8/2016 at 2:52 AM, RonnieThePotato said:

I will attempt to explain the fourth dimension.

First we must start at the beginning.

I'd like you to meet a good friend of mine,

Say hello to point.

9108194-1457618060.pngHere he is! ^

What can't see? I don't blame you, you see, point is invisible!

Point is not even invisible, he is nothing, yet your standing on him!

Point has many friends, they fill up everything. Everything! From you Phone to the Universe (which could be infinite as far as we know)!

Nothing can fit inside point because point is nothing, point is the smallest of the small! Point is dimension zero!

x = n/a y = n/a z = n/a

Points are also the base of all dimensions, for example the second dimension. When points line up with no spaces in between then they make line!

latest?cb=20050929041542

Line is one dimensional, still invisible though. You need at least two dimensions to see something.

x = ? y = n/a z = n/a

When these line up, we get a 2d figure, it can be a triangle, square, circle, you name it!

StaticSquare-B.jpg

See? It's just a bunch of lines on top of each other!

x = ? y = ? z = n/a

Now 2d lines up we get 3d!

150px-Planes_parallel.svg.png Squares on squares...

dado.svgMakes a a three dimensional figure!

So, a 4d fiqure is jus a bunch of 3D figures lined up? Yep!

240px-Schlegel_wireframe_8-cell.png

Here ya go! The 4d cube, aka the tesseract. But how does a cube turn into this? Well here is the net,

220px-8-cell_net.png 

Net_of_tesseract.gif  This is 3D I know but we can't see four dimensionally, this is the closest we can get to see 4d.

I wonder what it must be like being a four dimensional creature!

Lets figure that out too!

Let's  start at the beginning, 0D, well remember that I said nothing can fit in point? Let's go to 1D.

line.png

1D creatures can move left and right, A to B, they can't see at all though, they see in 0D so they are blind. Time for 2d!

StaticSquare-B.jpg

2D creatures can move up down left and right and see one dimensionally.

3d things see in two dimensional like us! Look at your hand it looks 2d, but the only thing that tells you that it is three dimensional is the light, you see the shadows! You can also flip your hand and see the other side! Let's say a stick was getting farther and farther from you, it looks like it's getting smaller, but let's say the stick was getting bigger as it went farther, you can still tell its farther because of shadow.

now, 4d they can see 3D but how? Well they can see "through" 3D things using the fourth dimension. Lets speak 1d for a moment, let's say there is three points in a row, to get to the middle one, a 1d creature must break one point to get to the middle one, right? A two dimensional creature can use the second dimension to just go around the first point and get the middle dot. A 2d circle has a dot inside it, a 2d creature must break the circle to get the dot, you can remove a 2d dot from a 2d circle without breaking the circle using the third dimension, just go around the circle. A 4d creature can remove a box from a hollow sphere without breaking it using the fourth dimension which we don't know too much of yet.

Lets talk shadows, 3D casts a 2d shadow, 2d casts 1d shadow, 1d casts no shadow, so 4d casts a 3D shadow, and the 3D shadow would cast its own 2d shadow. Yes you can grab a 3D shadow and spin it around and stuff. Another cool thing is, we draw on a 2d surface and we draw 2d things. 4d creatures draw in 3D! No they can't write in the air, air doesn't have  enough friction to rub lead of a pencil, but they write in a 3D surface so through anything 3D, in the middle of a 3D wall, inside some sort of 3D paper, anything! And they can spin their drawing around too! Yep pretty cool huh!

Well I hope you got an idea on the fourth dimension. Oh and the fourth dimension is not time alright, time is in every dimension, I'll just call it the extra dimension. Thanks for viewing!

Do points exist.

A quantum singularity is a point.

So lets break this down into the physical world, so that we have a better misunderstanding of space-time.

We should start with the basic. Space-time is filled with quantum space-time. Needless to say this is cool sounding bunk. Space-time is not filled with quantum space-time, space-time is quantum space-time and the filling at the same time, field structure in its composite is the universe. All of these things comprise the energy and by definition the mass, and so they are everything. OK so that is dumb down.

Where the dimensionality pops out of this, space and time, are the interactions. The quantum interactions I suppose are transient in nature but guide the structure of space-time by very loosely creating cells in the foam that whose units are quantum space-time. For whatever reason time flows in a single direction on our 'side of the universe' (if time is treated like space), and space-time is a manifestation of the resolution of the foam from the quantum level to the visible level.

So a point in quantum space-time has no dimensionality because its the interactions  basically amorphous dimensionality. It is through the mass of interactions that dimensions and time have meaning, or to put it otherwise because we can only measure the number of interactions as a composite, but cannot measure individual interactions in the measurement of space and time, that we have a coherent measuring system.

If you can imagine the situation as a clouds in the sky. If you attempted to measure two abutting clouds you would have a problem. Suppose you had 100 people measuring the distance between two very close clouds.

Your mean distance between the quessed center of the clouds would have a large relative deviation of those distances. Now if you measure clouds km apart the measured distance is a small relative deviation. Now imagine measuring the vector coordinates of many clouds in different layers. After you have plotted cloud after cloud you see layering in your structure and distances and the like you can see motion over time, and relative motion. Just measuring the distance between two clouds no matter how many measurements are taken does not complete the picture. Thus is such with space time, a few measurement of points in quantum space time does not help us, we need  near infinite number of measures and then dimenstionality and time appear, but oddly seemingly large numbers needed to make the smallest sense of things is triviality in the quantum world of events. 

But science still can see quantum events. a single photon decaying in the eye, or registering on a photo-multiplier tube, the problem is that these events often lack dimension. For example we cannot simultaneously detect momentum and position. But the events we see are interactions, generally with a particle with a large number of fields.

49 minutes ago, Atlas2342 said:

I have a question. If the higher dimensions are made of points, which are essentially nothing, shouldn't they be non-existent too?

But also one, two and three dimensions are made of points.

In mathematics, dimension is just a name for the number of "degrees of freedom" that elements in a vector space have. It is rather simple to imagine mathematics spaces with 1, 2, 3 or n dimensions. And spaces with infinite dimension are not that hard to imagine either.

In physics, one tries to fit everything into a mathematical framework. Since you can move in three dimensions, you model space by a 3 dimensional vector space of the real numbers. If you add time to that model, you model space-time by a 4-dimensional vector space over the real numbers. And if you are a string theorist, you work in an 11-dimensional space.

5 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

I have a question. If the higher dimensions are made of points, which are essentially nothing, shouldn't they be non-existent too?

Points lines and spaces are idealizations of reality that begin to substantially deviate with observation on the very small scale.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.