How to Grab Wheel in Space

I'm having quite a hard time connecting with this part, which is a career mission.

I'm a pretty good pilot, and the craft handles fine. I just can't find a place on the wheel that the grabber will latch onto.

I thought I might be able to scoop it up loose in a cargo bay, but that probably won't success once I go to warp.

Any suggestions?

(I'm not above cheating at this point)

AlpGpCv.png

Edited by Wcmille

Since it's a radial part your best bet would be trying to come at it from the attaching end (where the struts of the wheel meet at the flat edge). Otherwise since it's a radial part the klaw may not be able to grab the sides. May be mistaken as I don't have a lot of experience with the klaw.

The klaw is finicky... All I can say is approach at like .1 m/s and keep trying different angles.  

If you have KAS, you could try the harpoon or electromagnet.  But at least the magnet does not hold onto parts that well.  I haven't tried the harpoon.  

Maybe could could also use KAS to have a Kerbal attach the wheel to your ship?  Just don't forget a screwdriver!

2 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

The klaw is finicky... All I can say is approach at like .1 m/s and keep trying different angles.  

If you have KAS, you could try the harpoon or electromagnet.  But at least the magnet does not hold onto parts that well.  I haven't tried the harpoon.  

Maybe could could also use KAS to have a Kerbal attach the wheel to your ship?  Just don't forget a screwdriver!

If I do that, will it still give me credit for the mission?

I think so... All it really cares about is that you land and recover the part on Kerbin, not how you get it there.

But I have never tried attaching a target part for a contract like this, so can't guarantee that KAS would not override the data the contract uses to identity the part as the target.

You can always use the alt-f12 menu to complete the contract if some bug prevents it from happening automatically.

1 hour ago, Aegolius13 said:

I think so... All it really cares about is that you land and recover the part on Kerbin, not how you get it there.

But I have never tried attaching a target part for a contract like this, so can't guarantee that KAS would not override the data the contract uses to identity the part as the target.

You can always use the alt-f12 menu to complete the contract if some bug prevents it from happening automatically.

if I can just cheat to finish this contract (never done that), I will. If this were not a radial part, I'd be done already. Will try that soon and see if it works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.