NASA mandated to do manned mission to Mars

NFUN

On 28/09/2016 at 8:03 AM, Nibb31 said:

Given that both are powerpoint plans at this stage, it doesn't make a difference. I was talking about selling a DRM plan to Congress.

Although there are still many details in SpaceX's plan that don't withstand casual scrutiny...

But everyone knows. Powerpoint plans generate sales  profit bonuses  promotions!

22 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I never said it will, neither did I say that I believe in Musk's vision or that much of the engineering showed yesterday is feasible.

What I'm saying is that the number of engines alone is not a good metric to judge the potential reliability of a new vehicle.

Only the seven central engines can gimbal. What happens if one of those shuts down? What happens if a large amount of engines on one side of the outer ring fail and the central engines alone can't compensate?

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Only the seven central engines can gimbal. What happens if one of those shuts down? 

The other engines gimbal to compensate.   1960's tech at worst.

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

What happens if a large amount of engines on one side of the outer ring fail and the central engines alone can't compensate?

Then you have a Very Bad Day, a series of Solemn Ceremonies after which a lot of people get drunk and then have hangovers the next day.   But frankly, you'd have to work pretty hard nowadays to have an engine so unreliable that there was any significant chance of that happening.  It's much more likely that one of favorite anime girls will come to life and walk into my living room between the time I put the period on this sentence and hit "submit reply".

EDIT:  Dang, didn't happen.

But seriously, the odds are extraordinarily low.   Some things you just have to accept.

Edited by DerekL1963

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.