Recovery Factor

Leafbaron

Did the size of Kerbin change over the years? As of this date, the Eq.Radius of Kerbin is 600 km, so apply the formula 2*Pi*600 and the circumference is 3,770 (rounded up). You said it was 4,214 and if you halved this to get the distance on the opposite end from the KSC, it would be 2107, which is where you get zero funds back. So your circumference math is off, and your method of calculating the farthest point around the surface is off too (assuming the size was 4212 back when you posted this). At the preset size, the point opposite the KSC would be 1,885 km around the surface with a factor of 10.33%.

There is also the Strategy called Recovery Transponder Fitting which can change the maximum return by -6.04% to -10% to raise the minimum return by +5.1% to 15% respectively. This strategy is good if you think you will land far away most of the time. 

It is worth noting that this formula is on parts only. Fuel on board is refunded at full value, anywhere. I like to make ships that can parachute down and refuel from the surface near the KSC before turning them in (at least any ship with a lot of expensive nuk engines). To get them into orbit, I have a single stage booster pack that can parachute down to splash down so only the fuel is lost. With some modifications, I can give this a refuel option and engineer but it would need more fuel to finish the complete orbit first so I can control the landing to actually be on land.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the recovery factor is mostly there to give players an excuse to try to land somewhere near-ish the KSC. As mentioned here before, it is often a more efficient use of players' time to not recover boosters and just launch more missions. Recovery transponder fitting always seemed like a pointless option to me, because players who are likely to recover a lot of craft are also likely able to land them close to KSC.

I'll admit I have landed boosters too, both full SSTOs and designs that employ throwaway SRB kickers. But that's mostly to see if I can or for roleplay purposes, not as a regular economic strategy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.