Docking ports for modular bases - ideas wanted

I'd like to ask the community for your ideas on how to design modular bases such that the docking ports easily align.  I'll try to post photos of some of my strategies, but since mine never seem to work as well as I imagine, I'd like to hear what you do!  

I was inspired to ask this question after seeing a new "fork lift" that I hadn't thought of: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/5u6iys/a_simple_forklift_for_base_building/?st=iz7d0nx8&sh=92cf4f1b

Hopefully this thread is not redundant.  I did find some similar ideas in these threads: 1, 2.

Thanks in advance!

This right here is my go-to guide for base building. However, it was written before the offset tool was a thing. I say that because when you use the offset tool with angle snap on, it snaps the part to a grid, which makes it a whole lot easier to align landing gear to a standardized height. Speaking of which, I highly suggest starting by making a subassembly with landing legs and a docking port at the exact height you need them to be on all of your modules, and use that as your building guide.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.