Uncontrollable rover?

HighFructose

I just finished landing a rover and lander on Eeloo. The tiny rover was connected with a Jr. docking port. As soon as I undocked the rover, it started spinning uncontrollably. I turned on SAS and it got worse. The rover spun around like a tornado, breaking its own solar panels and taking out 2 of the 4 on the lander. I finally slowed it down by turning off torque. I looked at the rover to investigate, the front wheels were somehow turned 90 degrees of center. The rover is now impossible to drive because the wheels are borked. I will put a screenshot of the aftermath later, but any ideas of what might have happened?

one thing that can sometimes cause breakdancing rovers is part clipping and that usually only becomes a problem after undocking. In the past I've also seen odd things happening if you have a control mod like mechjeb active and having the rover's control point facing up/down (as might happen after undocking). but it's been a while since I've seen that happen so I thought that was cured. The wheels facing the wrong way does sound like it's being controlled from the wrong control point, try right clicking on a forward facing control point (docking port, command pod, probe core, etc) and selecting control from here. Or if the wheels have been "bent" out of shape by jumping around one way to fix that is to timewarp for a second, when you exit timewarp they should snap back into place. 

ALT+X disables trim - turning on SAS also counters trim - you cannot set trim while SAS is active.

part clipping has been known in the past to generate mysterious forces and at one point, was the founding principal for the "kraken drive" which enabled a vessel to have infinite delta-v

Edited by Xyphos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.