[Plugin][WIP][1.3.1] PEngin - Procedural Engines

Pidot

Procedural Engines

EuHxEnJ.gif

Download & Source:

Overview:

This mod adds a configurable engine with 6 different engine types, each with 3 levels of technology. They are unlocked in tech tree.

Future:

Main goals:

• Realistic, COADE-like engine creation
  • Realism Overhaul / RP-0 support

Current goals:

• Custom engine models for different engine types
  • Support for different engine diameters
  • Better GUI
  • More Polish

If you have any suggestions, please post them down below.

Known Bugs:

None. If you notice any bug not posted here, or THERE (GitHub Issues), please post it THERE (GitHub Issues). Please try to include your ksp.log, and steps to reproduce the bug, if you can. Thanks!

Licence:

Included in GitHub repository.

bqcrDd5.png

(also if you could tell me what else I should include in this post, I would appreciate it, thanks)

Edited by Pidot

54 minutes ago, Pidot said:

Procedural Engines

EuHxEnJ.gif

Download & Source:

Overview:

This mod adds a configurable engine with 6 different engine types, each with 3 levels of technology. They are unlocked in tech tree.

Future:

Main goals:

• Realistic, COADE-like engine creation
  • Realism Overhaul / RP-0 support

Current goals:

• Custom engine models for different engine types
  • Support for different engine diameters
  • Better GUI
  • More Polish

If you have any suggestions, please post them down below.

Known Bugs:

None. If you notice any bug not posted here, or THERE (GitHub Issues), please post it THERE (GitHub Issues). Please try to include your ksp.log, and steps to reproduce the bug, if you can. Thanks!

Licence:

Included in GitHub repository.

bqcrDd5.png

(also if you could tell me what else I should include in this post, I would appreciate it, thanks)

You have no idea how long I've wanted an engine and nozzle designer. That's easily 60% or rocketry, and effectively eliminates the need for lots of niche engines. No idea how practical it would be, but since rocket engines basically always reduce to expanded gas, a lot of versatility could be gained by reducing engine creation similarly. The need for engine types would be eliminated, and hybrids like afterburning nuclear and air-augmented rockets would be to the user to invent. I would absolutely love to see freeform engine design develop; it would bring the fun of trying to develop the perfect kracken drive and put it in a reasonably realistic setting.

15 minutes ago, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

You have no idea how long I've wanted an engine and nozzle designer. That's easily 60% or rocketry, and effectively eliminates the need for lots of niche engines. No idea how practical it would be, but since rocket engines basically always reduce to expanded gas, a lot of versatility could be gained by reducing engine creation similarly. The need for engine types would be eliminated, and hybrids like afterburning nuclear and air-augmented rockets would be to the user to invent. I would absolutely love to see freeform engine design develop; it would bring the fun of trying to develop the perfect kracken drive and put it in a reasonably realistic setting.

Yeah, I'm not really happy with what I've made so far. For now I just wanted to check out how everything works. Like I said, I'd love to create something resembling COADE engine creator. While making it balanced in stock KSP wouldn't be that hard (I guess), RO is my main goal.

1 minute ago, Foozle said:

Wonderful idea, looking forward to trying this out.

And from the config file, looks like it wouldn't be too hard to adapt this to LH2 either.  Hmm...

Uh, I'm afraid it would be quite hard. For now all of the values are hardcoded. I will see what I can do.

32 minutes ago, Pidot said:

Uh, I'm afraid it would be quite hard. For now all of the values are hardcoded. I will see what I can do.

Ah, OK.  Good to know.

It wasn't a request, BTW, rather I was hoping to make an alternate config myself.  Maybe not so easy after all, though.

But don't worry about that, just follow your muse-- it's already leading you in a very good direction!

My god... it might finally come to light... A procedural engines mod that I've wanted forever! So much so in fact that I was thinking about trying my hand at it as well. I truly hope you get this to the level of functionality that you've said you want to reach. If you do end up reaching that goal, I have to say this might be one of the best mods KSP has seen. Keep up the great work!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.