Split from "more scientific equipment"

Aegrim

Their should be a list of achievements, some of which require you to carry certain instruments to a planet or moon to complete.

Such as, every time you fly a ship to the mun and back, you get space rocks that count up the more you do it.

Or "Confirm (or deny) the existence of water on x planet", then you can send a satelite to fly over the planet and do some scans, then send down a rover to one of the hot spots and see if you can find any.

Could fly a satelite over kerbals Europa and scan for water and when you find a thin bit of ice, land a drill down to go take a look.

What is this thing about these "achievements" that are everywhere? I see them as limiting. There is rarely anything to be gained from them, and it is a bit like trying to force activities on people. Seems a bit strained to me.

And finnishing half a dozen achievements in one flight? Would there be any reward for that? Naaw, I simcerely hope KSP will be achievemnt free as long as possible.

As for the OP, yepp, I would very much like to see moe scientific equipment in KSP. Equipment that chould in campagn mode generate science points/kredits or whatever that chould be of benefit in the game itself. Wastly different, and something worthy to put the programming resources they have into.

What is this thing about these "achievements" that are everywhere? I see them as limiting. There is rarely anything to be gained from them, and it is a bit like trying to force activities on people. Seems a bit strained to me.

And finnishing half a dozen achievements in one flight? Would there be any reward for that? Naaw, I simcerely hope KSP will be achievemnt free as long as possible.

As for the OP, yepp, I would very much like to see moe scientific equipment in KSP. Equipment that chould in campagn mode generate science points/kredits or whatever that chould be of benefit in the game itself. Wastly different, and something worthy to put the programming resources they have into.

I agree w/ Thaniel. Achievement free as long as possible. The great thing about KSP is that there are no rules or things you should do, its purely about exploration and doing anything your mind can fathom. The goal is to be an innovator (I think of this game a space race against all you fools on these forums :P), so I usually make sure I can do what people do on here (gravity boost off mun to minmus, typically landings blah blah blah) but have also been trying to figure out some of my own new missions. I would not say enforce missions on the players, but maybe implement some sort of worldwide space race on kerbin. For instance, maybe your kerbal R&D team gets wind of kerbals from "the asian area of kerbin" deploying kerbals to the bottom of a crater and found a new element that supports fuel production....its not enforced that you "have" to go there, but obviuosly players would.....

Done well, achievements can be a solution to the problem that some game players get stuck in a groove, concentrating on one successful technique or style of gameplay. Nobody is compelled to bother with achievements, but if they are there then they can tempt players out of their groove and on to trying new stuff.

At their worst, achievements are a substitute for balanced and varied game design. They force people to obsessive-compulsive behaviours like "click on every panel in the level to find every single hidden area and pick up every tiny little power-up that you don't need anyway", or "spend ten hours running through a level at breakneck speed dying all the time in an attempt to get the 'Level Racer' achievement, instead of playing sensibly".

Achievements can be useful or they can be dire. It all depends on which ones there are, and how well they are done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.