64-bit client viable?

Zatie12

Hi Folks

I've come back to KSP after a year or two and seem to remember there were a few issues at the time with the relatively new 64-bit client. I've also noticed that Steam is still running the 32-bit client by default. Are there any issues with 64-bit these days or is it still recommended to run 32? If no issues what's the recommended way to get steam to run the 64-bit version instead?

Thanks!

Highly recommended. The 32-bit version crashes a lot due to out of memory problems if you have any mods installed.

I just run it directly from the filesystem (I put a shortcut to the executable on my desktop), but here's one way that should work to run it directly from Steam (I haven't verified it myself though):

Can't recommend it enough.

Even on the backup machine I have to use for the time being (Core2Duo [email protected], 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GTX), it's the x64 executable what keeps KSP from crashing on me, with all the activity going on in my save, which has me bouncing back and forth between planets & vessels, every 5-10 minutes.

Edited by Atkara

On 12/02/2018 at 11:13 AM, Brikoleur said:

Highly recommended. The 32-bit version crashes a lot due to out of memory problems if you have any mods installed.

I just run it directly from the filesystem (I put a shortcut to the executable on my desktop), but here's one way that should work to run it directly from Steam (I haven't verified it myself though):

Or you can right click the game in your Steam Library and then left click Launch KSP (64 bit). This launches it with two clicks, which saves messing about creating links or whatever. 

Another, somewhat more complicated way, is to add the following line to the game's launch options (properties->general tab->set launch options):

"<drive letter of your steam install>:\<path to your Steam folder>\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

At the end of that line, you can add options like -force-opengl (self-explanatory) and -popupwindow (borderless window) if you're interested in either.

This way, the shortcut created by steam, will always launch the x64 exe, with any additional options you may have selected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.