1.4.1 & Making History Really Buggy

s_powers

I don't think it is a big DRM conspiracy. But I saw the exact same thing under window's that he did. With a totally clean mod free install. I think it might be more a window's 10 problem than intended behaviour. But the online verification or log reporting? "Whatever" has changed the way it work's under 1.4.0 and later on window and Linux "see my way to long post above" And it does effect the game loading for some people. I agree with you for the most part . But you cant blame the guy if he has to sign some weird unintelligible new ULA . And then he install's the game DLC and all his copies ruining outside the steam folder without online access stop working.     

On 3/17/2018 at 3:05 AM, steve_v said:

Perhaps, though I don't recall much particularly serious besides the well-known memory leaks and new aero model shenanigans. I have been using x64 & FAR forever, so they didn't bother me much. The randomly-exploding thermal system sure did, but that was forgivably non-obvious.

Continuous CTD's, Kerbals spontaneous exploding the second they set foot on the surface of the planet... oh yes, there were bugs.

I think the only problems I've encountered involved weird control issues. I think that it could've just been the part joints breaking for one case, but I certainly noticed an issue on another flight, locking control based entirely on where my mouse was on the screen. I was running with KER and KAC, so that may be part of the cause... still, I've never seen something like that.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:54 PM, Gargamel said:

I wonder what the thought process was behind this?

They were just shutting up and taking the money? I mean, with the amount of people telling everyone that they would pay $15 for a turd with the Squad logo, why would they put any more effort than needed into the product?

1 hour ago, cfds said:

They were just shutting up and taking the money? I mean, with the amount of people telling everyone that they would pay $15 for a turd with the Squad logo, why would they put any more effort than needed into the product?

Are you talking about the devs, or Take-Two? 

Because the first group seem like they actually value doing a good job and they likely don't gain a penny more for doing a bad job than for a good job, and the second group is a publicly-traded business that often seems to care more about pleasing shareholders than customers.

This certainly doesn't seem like a cash grab on the part of the devs -- they likely get paid the same whether they do a good or a bad job and whether the DLC sells well or not at all. And if it's a cash grab by Take-Two I'd be shocked if it was enough of one to cover the cost of buying the KSP IP and paying Squad to keep working on it.

It's easy to be cynical about a rough product launch, but I don't think this is simply a cash grab. If it were, it'd have to be the worst one ever: the devs don't benefit and look bad, and Take-Two doesn't make much money after expenses and tarnish their reputation and that of the IP they just bought. The cash grab scenario just doesn't make any sense or seem worth it to anyone involved.

However, since the product has been released for sale in the current and soon to end fiscal year, if the sales aren't great Take-Two can show a loss for this fiscal year (where KSP is concerned) and this can benefit them by reducing taxes, and if sales are good and show a profit Take-Two can show it off to shareholders. In this scenario, either way is good for Take-Two, and (if it means a rushed release to get it out before the fiscal year end) not so great for Squad and customers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.