Craft Reversion 1.4 => 1.3

XLjedi

I was a bit hesitant to post this...  as I realize the favored scripting language for most is probably not MS Excel.

But anyway...

I recently built a new craft in 1.4.1 and was going to make a pretty blueprint for it and realized a certain mod that I relied on hadn't been updated to 1.4 yet.  Meh, no worries I thought, just change the version number in the .craft file and should still work in my 1.3 install where all my happy mods reside.  Alas... it did not work.  :/

Soooo, I started to tinker with the 1.4 craft file format and figured out what needed to be tweaked to make it work in my old 1.2.2 and 1.3.1 installs.  ...and then I coded it in this Excel file with a few basic instructions on what to do:  KSP_CraftCon.xlsm

Granted, I haven't included substitutions for ALL of the new 1.4 parts, but the VBA script is fairly simple to follow (Alt-F11 for the VB Editor) and you can see where I swapped out a Baguette tank for a Xenon tank and so forth.

I also have a certain Avgas Fuel Truck that I should be able to easily convert to rocket fuel now by using this thing to quickly swap out the parts.  Also, I know there are some folks who are holding out on updating to 1.4 and this will let me revert craft files so I can continue to share designs with them assuming of course the parts have decent 1.3 substitutes.   ...and sure, you download 1.4 craft files and revert them for you 1.3 install if you like.  

Why Excel?  Well... it was just the fastest/easiest solution for me and it works both at home and in the office.  ...and if there's a non-Excel script floating around out there that I have just not come across, feel free to link to it here for others to find.

• 3 weeks later...

It works fairly well if there are no new parts.  ...if there are new parts, you'll see in the code where I made substitutions.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure a number of the new parts could pretty easily be migrated to prior versions if needed.  This can be useful if trying to test a new design for instance in a previous install where a certain favorite mod maybe still works.

So far, everything I've tried loads into 1.3.1 with no errors.  Of course the only save I kept was the last hard career, and I only have lv 2 VAB & R&D, so pretty much everything I converted is either locked by size, part count or technology.  But they load fine, so will probably work just fine.  Thanks for sharing that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.