Eve via Moho

FlyingPete

I'd like to try a barebones mission to Eve, with a flyby of Moho on the way. I've sent a probe that way in a previous save- the flyby of Moho was at about 10km/s to landing was definitely out. Nevertheless, with a crewed mission it would be a good way to get orbital science of both Eve and Moho, plus plenty of research during the transit. Maybe the crew could meet with a crew return ship or fuel dump sent later to Eve directly.

Any ideas for ship configuration? I don't have the nuclear engine yet so it needs to be fairly lightweight to save on fuel requirements. Most of my designs end up being overweight and inefficient.

I'm thinking a piloted mk1 capsule, crew cabin and science lab to give my 4-Kerb crew somewhere to live, plus a science module up front with a materials bay, goo and thermometer. Aft would be batteries and solar arrays. Heat shield on the nose for aerobraking at Eve, so the solar arrays should be retractable inside the 2.5m cross-section. Don't forget the antenna!

Propulsion for the main spacecraft will probably be a 'poodle' engine with skipper+boosters lower stage.

Have I missed anything?

Edited by FlyingPete

Personally I'd keep the payload small because of the engines you have available. Cutting it down to size 1, with one scientist Kerbal and a science suite, powered by one or more Terriers. 

Bringing the science home always feels less cheaty than using a science lab to farm science in-situ. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.