Fouglas FD-15 "CloudCutter"

(was originally just named FD-11, but got it's name changed when i was going to turn it into a more crazy custom design)

F2r0bhM.png

(the livery is that of the Arrowhead Airways, or whatever i originally named it. Basically it's just something i threw together to make the aircraft more interesting and realistic)

Oh how happy i am to know that this thing lives again.

This little replica was something i built during the 1.3 pre-release (not sure about the version but it was a pre-release version), during that pre-release there was something weird that happened, as using the aircraft, it seemed to deteriorate in an alarming rate. First it flew just fine, then it started exploding when i did banking turns, and soon after that it started exploding during takeoff, and finally started exploding on the runway as soon as the physics kicked in. There was no way to know what caused it to explode (i do remember there being issues with rigid attachment), as a lot of it exploded at once.

I wasn't even supposed to fix this as i taught it was going to be forever broken, i just brought it back to cannibalize some bits from it for a new airliner.

After that was done, i taught "why not try to see if it flies, it cant hurt", and to my surprise, i didn't explode outright. Instead it flew just like the way it was supposed to in the first place, Tough it could be a little more nippy, but i think it's pretty close to the real thing.

I believe that me slicing and dicing and putting back together the aircraft probably reset whatever was wrong with the aircraft.

I did some few new things with this one as far as detail goes.

I did some doors that should be a little bit more distinguishable, created a custom cockpit out of the 3-man command pod, and did a custom livery (new at the time for me).

Unfortunately this one wont last for long, as if i understood correctly, these old parts (the old command pod and rocomax fuel-tanks that this uses) will be completely removed at some point. I'll have to see about making a remastered version with these old parts replaced. The replacement process shouldn't take that long as there aren't that many of those old parts on the thing, nor are there too many parts attached to them.

The MD-11 has always been one of my all time favorite airliners (i've actually made 2-3 replicas before), and since i have a large paper-model of it to use as reference, it was a pretty easy choice.

The paper-model of it is from the paper-replika website and is honestly one of the more fun builds ive ever done, and biggest as-well.

Spoiler

lScrt7y.jpg

I have also been planning on building a FedEx one as-well, its just a recolor of this exact model.

I Don't want the engines to carry all the weight of the model, so i have that spool thing there for the shot. Otherwise it sits on top of an old plasma screen TV.

A paper-model, or a model of any kind is especially good for getting the wing shape and profile just right.

Here are some more picks of the aircraft:

Spoiler

gdk46DC.png

ivb6lml.png

ZkVAnif.png

QLxltt5.png

Technical specs:

Top speed: 170 m/s

Stall speed: 55 m/s

Length: 53.9m

Wingspan: 49.9m

Height: 17.1m

Mass: 163 tons

Parts: 519

Action groups:

Action group 1: Flaps

Action group 2: Air-brakes (also should be bound to brakes action group)

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jllrzev1plhpksx/Fouglas FD-15 _Cloud Cutter_.craft?dl=0

And there it is, a lovely little replica of the MD-11. I hope you enjoy it :).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.