Well, I read through the last 3 pages of the FAR thread in the mod release section of the forum and it looks like there is no "easy" solution to do this. Apparently you have to compile it on your own to work along with ksp 1.4+.

There is also a very short "tutorial" how to do this:

If you have no experience in visual studio or programming at all, it will be very hard to follow these steps. In this case, I would recommend to ask someone in the FAR thread to share a rebuild, but this may require the permission of ferram4 (I don't know anything about licences and private sharing and ss8913 already wrote that he is not going to share it public without the permission of ferram4 ). Obviously, bugs can appear since ksp 1.4 is not officially supported.

I'll try it:

1) Download and install Microsoft Visual Studio (Community Version is free to use). During the installation, be sure you will install the packages ".NET Framework 3.5-Development tools", "C# and Visual Basic Roslyn-Compiler" and "C# and Visual Basic". You can find these in the "single component" category. If you have already installed Visual Studio, you can check for these components by starting Visual Studio -> Tools -> Get Tools and Features. This will start the installer environment, click on "modify" and you will find the component list there (had to translate the install environment for my self so the names my be slightly different)

2) Download and unzip the FAR source code AND the actual mod FAR v.0.15.9.1

3)Open "FerramAerospaceResearch.sln" (located in the FAR source code folder) in Visual Studio

4)On the right site, you will see the "Solution Explorer" containing the FAR files.

5) There are TWO projects: "FerramAerospaceResearch" and "ferramGraph" and both of them got a "References" list. Expand the list and you will see all requiered references.

6) Some of these references are marked with a yellow triangle, you need to fix this. Right click "References" -> "Add Reference" and click "Browse" in the new window. Browse to "your_installfolder_of_KSP 1.4\KSP_64_Data\Managed" (be sure it is your 1.4 install) and search for every .dll file which is marked with an yellow triangle (should be Assembly-CSharp.dll, KSPAssets.dll, UnityEngine.dll, UnityEngin.UI.dll and ModularFlightIntegrator.dll (THIS ONE IS LOCATED IN YOUR FAR v.0.15.9.1 FOLDER[not hte source code folder, but the mod folder]) After all .dll files are added, click "OK" and all yellow triangles should be gone. THIS NEED TO BE DONE WITH BOTH PROJECTS

7) Open "CompatibilityChecker.cs" (listed in the Solution Explorer, inside of the FerramAerospaceReasearch project)

8) Search for "return Versioning.version_major == 1 && Versioning.version_minor == 3;" in line 61 (you may have to expand the source code by clicking the small + und the left side)

9) Change "version_minor == 3" to "version_minor == 4"

10) Save

11) Open "Properties" (also found in the Solution Explorer and inside the project). "Application" Tab should be open, check if the Target Framefork is set to ".NET Framework 3.5". Switch to "Build" tab and change the Configuration from "Active (Debug)" to "Release". Check your "Output path" (should be bin\Release but you may want to change this)

12) Your Visual Studio toolbar contains two drop-down menus, one of the shows "Debug" the other "Any CPU". Change "Debug" to "Release".

13) Compile (Click on "Build" -> "Build Solution")

14) Browse to your Release folder (you may have set in step 11). If you haven't changed the output path, it is located in "your_source_code_folder\Ferram-Aerospace-Research-0.15.9.1_Liepmann\FerramAerospaceResearch\bin\Release"

15) Pick your new "FerramAerospaceResearch.dll" and "ferramGraph.dll" and replace these with the .dll files in your mod folder of FAR. (I'm not sure if you have to replace the "Scale_redist.dll" as well)

16) Done :)

I guess there is a reason for ferram4 to use this compatibility check so no guarantee everything will work properly.

(You can recompile any mods for a new KSP version by loading the source code and setting the references to the latest .dll files in KSP, obviously on your own risk)

edit: If FAR is still not running, try to recompile the ModularFlightIntegrator.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

• 2 months later...

This is a nice and easy walkthrough.

But I have a little problem with step 6.
I can fix the references from "ferramGraph" but can't fix "FerramAerospaceResearch". Even if I delete all references and add them new, they are yellow-triangle-ish...

Any idea, how to fix the fix? :)

5 hours ago, BenKinst said:

This is a nice and easy walkthrough.

But I have a little problem with step 6.
I can fix the references from "ferramGraph" but can't fix "FerramAerospaceResearch". Even if I delete all references and add them new, they are yellow-triangle-ish...

Any idea, how to fix the fix? :)

I have actually no idea but someone else posted a recompile for 1.4.3 in the FAR thread. You should read through the post carefully, looks like there is some shader related stuff you have to do on your own (just copy & paste some files from the original release):

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/19321-131-ferram-aerospace-research-v01591-liepmann-4218/&page=557&tab=comments#comment-3399274

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.