Can I get some Linux Help and Advice?

NewtSoup

38 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

One thing should be mentioned: these tools create their own databases.

AFAIK, Synaptic doesn't respect /etc/apt/preferences and keeps it's own priority settings.
Other than that I can't say I've had any issues in ~10 years running apt-get, aptitude, synaptic and packagekit frontends on the same system.

38 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

One should read the man pages

One should use man pages (and info pages, and apropos to find both) as a primary source of information, preferably well before resorting to internet searches. ;)

Edited by steve_v

Once i used synaptics and it took me like 20 minutes to find and install something. Since then i have stubbornly ignored it.

I also never had a problem mixing apt-get and aptitude. But i lost a lot of "inventiveness" for errors since my first steps. Just thought it might be better to mention possible traps right away ...

Doing a quick lookup i might have said too much much with the "own database" thing. Thanks for the hint ;-)

15 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

I'm going to stick to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" aphorism.

Fair enough. I tend to go with "I have backups, so breaking stuff is kinda fun."

My Gentoo box just got nvidia 410.57 and firefox 62.0.2 with link time optimisation. :P

Gentoo was my first foray into Linux in about 1999 ( one of the pre-releases ) it had an early enlightenment desktop.  I did actually get it all to compile and run and look nice for a few days but then it fell over and I had no idea at all how to get it back running so I went back to windows for the next many years. I was very much a gamer and linux gaming back then was pretty much non existant

Well, installing a modern day distro with up to date drivers and different desktops is a piece of cake then 4u.

Am planning to do a gentoo installation too once i have the time for tinkering :-)

Edited by Green Baron

13 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

Gentoo was my first foray into Linux in about 1999

I was running Slackware at that point, I moved to Gentoo around 2003 (after a brief flirtation with LFS) and ran it without issues for ~5 years before switching to Debian for "just works" and no lengthy compile time. Installing stuff with Gentoo on a P166 was slow.

Then Systemd became inescapable on Debian, :mad: so I escaped Debian. I look to Gentoo as one of the few remaining distros with a choice of init systems, and discover that it's now considered "old guard". :confused:
But it's got choice and freedom, and that's what matters. Kinda felt like coming home TBH.

13 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

linux gaming back then was pretty much non existant

Yeah, I was dual-booting until a few years ago, for this very reason.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.