• 0
Sign in to follow this  
Tibrogargan

ISRU stops making fuel

Question

I have a lander on the Mun that's intended to hop around collecting science and refueling itself.  It seems to be OK with mining ore and refining it into fuel as long as you focus on it.  If you switch to something else, it stops making fuel.  When you come back, the drills say the ore rate is n/a.

Anyone have any ideas where I could start with looking for the problem?  The lander is probably not designed well, but there's nothing that stands out as egregiously wrong.

The lander does have decouplers separating the ISRU and drill sections from the main body, in case the kerbals need to get back to Kerbin on their own.  The decouplers do not have crossfeed enabled - does that affect ore flow, or just fuel?

Edited by Tibrogargan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
24 minutes ago, Tibrogargan said:

The lander does have decouplers separating the ISRU and drill sections from the main body, in case the kerbals need to get back to Kerbin on their own.  The decouplers do not have crossfeed enabled - does that affect ore flow, or just fuel?

I think that depends on your game difficulty settings. If you clicked the button that says "Resource transfer obeys crossfeed rules", then I think it can affect ore flow.

However, in general, "background" mining and processing of fuel (when the craft is outside physics range) has its own "batch processing" rules. IIRC, it only updates the mining/processing once every 6 game hours.

So, did you leave the vessel untouched for 6 hours before you came back to it?

 

Edited by bewing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, bewing said:

So, did you leave the vessel untouched for 6 hours before you came back to it?

 

Yes sir, I left it long enough for it to process about 150 science, which is about 15 days or so.  No fuel made.  Currently seeing what happens if I leave the drills running but not the ISRU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
21 minutes ago, Tibrogargan said:

Yes sir, I left it long enough for it to process about 150 science, which is about 15 days or so.  No fuel made.  Currently seeing what happens if I leave the drills running but not the ISRU.

Which version of the game was this, then, please? Did you get the 1.5 upgrade? Was it tested after the upgrade?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, bewing said:

Which version of the game was this, then, please? Did you get the 1.5 upgrade? Was it tested after the upgrade?

 

Yes, tested after the upgrade.  I think I see what's going on.  Ore was mined, then when I switched on the ISRU it ran out of power and shut down in the middle of the night, but both the ISRU and drills showed that they were still running.  Version 2 needs moar batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Interesting! That seems surprising if EC usage is now being modeled during batch processing. I'll have to look at that. It didn't use to be modeled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this