Maximum number of vessels practicable?

In my Orbit world [production], I currently have 283 flights in progress.

The quicksaves are taking longer (naturally) and I have to monitor memory (only ~8GB) and restart KSP when memory usage heads toward swap territory (running KSP 1.3.1 on Linux Mint 18.2).

Switching between vessels  seems to be what grows memory -- not so much operating them.

What I'd really like to know is:

1. what's the practical upper limit to # of flights one can have (depending upon memory available)
  2. what's the biggest number anyone has running?

I'm simply doing some forward planning here.  Will I eventually need to ration flights?  My (old) motherboard has its max memory already so, clearly, a new computer (yay!) is in the future.

I note that the debris clean-up limit goes up to 10,000: can this mean that 10K vessels is actually a possibility??

Edited by Hotel26

I don't know about the greatest experienced. I do think that having debris of 10.000 will noticeably slow down your save. Having a faster computer will run saves with larger amount of vessels better and I think having anywhere close to 10.000 vessels will be a slideshow. I expect anyone boasting the hightest number of vessels in a single savegame also has a lot of game slow downs. I think people stop playing their game when the amount of used vessels becomes that big as it will become to difficult to organize.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.