What the size of your service module, or: Should shareables use DLC?

Jestersage

I figure this is more of an opinion question then gameplay question, so...

In short, I am trying to make a Tiangong clone, along with the Chengzheng rocket. Problem is that I intepret to be best expressed with the 1.875 diameter parts, which are DLC. I had done a test using non DLC parts, which isn't too bad looking.

So I am curious: should a shareable craft be made of DLC parts, or not? How does everyone decide if they will purposely scale back on using DLC?

4 hours ago, Jestersage said:

should a shareable craft be made of DLC parts, or not?

I think this question is too general and absolute to avoid being a hot-button issue.  The same general questions are asked "whether clipping parts inside each other is cheating?", or "whether MechJeb should be used or not?", etc and usually end up causing heated debates on the forums.

I believe the questions the builder of the craft should ask include, but are not necessarily limited to:

• Does the inclusion or exclusion of DLC parts affect the craft in a significant way? Desired functionality, performance, aesthetics, shape, part count, etc.
  • Is it an objective of the builder that as many players as possible can use the craft when sharing it?
  • Is the builder's inspiration or creativeness impacted in a negative way if he/she are restraining themselves from using DLC parts?
  • What maintenance is the builder intending or willing to perform on a shareable craft if a KSP update changes or alters the behavior any way, big or small?  Will maintaining two functional versions of a craft (one DLC, the other non-DLC) have an impact on the builder's available KSP time?
4 hours ago, Jestersage said:

How does everyone decide if they will purposely scale back on using DLC?

The only craft that I made a point to avoid DLC parts was my Space Shuttle analogue.  It's my most downloaded craft, Shuttle-style craft are heavily sought after by many players due to it's place in history, and it's something I no longer actively use in my own career (despite my commitment to maintain it in working order).

Edited by Raptor9

3 hours ago, Jestersage said:

should a shareable craft be made of DLC parts, or not? How does everyone decide if they will purposely scale back on using DLC?

It's up to you, really. Do whatever feels right to you. There's as much (or as little) to say about sharing craft with DLC parts as with any player mod, and look at how many modded craft are published every day. Obviously people are ok in large numbers with modded craft being shared.

Personally, I don't see me sharing a DLC craft (yet?) for the following reasons:

• I try to share craft that can be loaded by anyone, with as few prerequisites as possible. The only prerequisite most of my craft have is the version of KSP they can be expected to work in, and even that annoys me, but I can't do anything about that. I can and do avoid mods. And DLC is really just a stock mod... one that needs to be paid for on top of that, so even less people are certain to have it. That will likely keep me avoiding DLC parts regardless.
  • I dislike many of the choices Squad made for this DLC. I accept that Squad deserves to make a living, and that current artists/devs adhere to different views than previous ones, but the end result is that I feel little draw to use or promote MH. What I don't build, I can't share.
  • It doesn't help that none of the game versions after 1.3.1 have yet managed to convince me to upgrade definitively. Since I keep playing 1.3.1, that automatically rules out DLC entirely. We'll see what 1.6 does.

I don't create with DLC parts yet, but if I see a DLC craft that I really wanna try I'll load it up.

I'd say you do you.  Make yourself happy first.  If peeps don't DL, just hope maybe they enjoyed the photos and press on the the next project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.