Mun - Orbit and landing

10 hours ago, GRS said:

You don't have enough margin safety (kinda), try adding more tanks in the lander stage.

I disagree, 2100 is LOTS for a Mun landing and return from orbit.  Figure 600 + generous margin down, 600 + margin back up (orbit's not nearly as hard to do safely), and 270 + margin back to Kerbin.  Leaving a 10% margin for the easier maneuvers, that's around 500 extra for landing.  The main problem I have with it is how tall it is...

edit: I took a good look at the other stages and see your point, the craft needs another stage or so to at least set up a Mun flyby before the lander can afford to do any work.

Edited by Kryxal

Another tip concerning your dark side of the Mun landing and the altitude difference between sea level and terrain level.

I can see you are using Kerbal Enineering Redux. During flight you must have seen the small stat panels displaying all sorts of numbers in green. You can adjust what stats you would like to see in the in flight options menu of KER. Just click on the KER icon when you are in flight mode. Little advice, take a look at this option menu when in a stable situation, like before actually launching or when in a stable orbit...and take your time looking at those options, because that option menu is huge! Once you understand how this menu works go and look for the "altitude (terrain)" stat and add this to (one of) your in flight info panels. Now you can see your exact altitude above the terrain instead of the main altimeter which shows you altitude above "sea" level...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.